Brake discs, how long should they last ?

Sorry but you're being a bit disingenuous here.

"While it's possible to replace brake discs without changing the brake pads, it's not recommended. Brake pads and discs wear together, and replacing one without the other can lead to uneven braking, reduced performance, and potential damage to the new components. It's generally best to replace both brake pads and discs simultaneously to ensure optimal braking performance and safety."
Nope, I don't know who you're quoting here but it's nonsense. Earlier in the thread someone posted about changirear pads without changing the discs. This was and is common prractice and is perfectly safe as long as the discs are within manufacturers' specs as engraved on the discs.
I think a lot of places now recommend replacing discs with the pads, experienced same when having my Mazda serviced by the stealership.

Some of it is just money grabbing but also safety. If there is a lip on the discs through wear when you replace the pads it will take longer for them to settle in which means less braking force.

Which I have experienced in person when changing pads on my cars in years gone by. Could take a few days for the new pads to grip the old discs but the discs were pretty worn in fairness.

I didn't mention anything about grooves or any type of damage to the disc/rotors. I do however have experience with replacing brake pads on used discs/rotors and if you don't know what you are dealing with you will rear end another car super easy!
The only reason new pads will need time to "bed in" or "grip the old discs" as you put it above is if the wear on the old discs is uneven and they are grovved and/or pitted. Two perfectly flat surfaces properly installed need no time to "bed in" to deliver excellent braking.

Mrs P has a 2021 Nissan Juke, 60,000 km on the clock.
Just had a service and the main dealer has said both front and rear discs and pads need replacing , cost €1100.
Seems wild to me, both the cost and the fact that discs need replacing after 60,000 kilometres.
Any thoughts ?
An update, I brought the car to a small and recommended local mechanic. He said with Mrs P’s 20,000 km annual usage there is at least another year left on front and read discs. Front and rear pads needed replacing which he supplied and fitted for a total price of €300.

Thanks for the replies.

I nearly choked on my corn flakes when I saw 1100 for brakes and discs. Glad you got sorted in the end.

Many apologies Bank Manager, I'm only after realising that you responded to my question

a) given the figures you've quoted you got they changed your rear pads after 12,841 kms (7,979 miles)..
b) https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/brake-pads/ (extract below)
c) based on RAC's quoted figures yours were changed somewhere between 26% and 11% of their estimated life of brake pads
d) that's why I think you were scammed...

Yes everything you have written above is correct except for point d
If you had read my post below you would have noticed that I gave reasons regarding why I changed the rear discs and pads

Maybe I'm just old school but when you change discs I've always changed the pads at the same time
I didn't have to replace the rear discs but they were coming towards the end of their life
and given I probably won't service this car again for two to three years depending on milage I made the decision to replace
Given that it was my choice to replace the pads along with the discs, I still can't see why you think I was scammed by the dealer

As regards to paying too much or been "ripped off", well you're all possibly right but I have my own personal reasons for using my local Nissan dealer

Last edited:
Many apologies Bank Manager, I'm only after realising that you responded to my question
No problem at all...
Apologies, I had misunderstood that the 'garage' had suggested they needed changing...
On the basis that it was your decision then of course I don't think you were scammed by the garage...
Once you are happy with the price, that's the main thing...

Back