Brake discs, how long should they last ?

Des Pondent

Mrs P has a 2021 Nissan Juke, 60,000 km on the clock.
Just had a service and the main dealer has said both front and rear discs and pads need replacing , cost €1100.
Seems wild to me, both the cost and the fact that discs need replacing after 60,000 kilometres.
Any thoughts ?

Difficult to say how long discs should last as it depends a lot on driving conditions and style. I have 135k kms on my car and discs/pads haven't been replaced as yet.

Last edited:
Brake discs and pads can be installed by most tyre places.

The price will be nowhere near €1100

Wear depends on the user and the type of travel. Mostly motorway with little braking and they will last over 100,000 km, city driving and regular braking will wear quicker

Get a tyre place to check

I suppose if the EVs aren't selling in the numbers they expected, they have to make a few quid somehow.

Strange that discs and pads are wearing out together. I'd expect to get through a couple of sets of pads before needing to replace the discs.

Still, better safe than sorry, but that's an eye-watering price. Go to a local mechanic with a good rep, or a similar tyre place, save a fair few quid. For example €100.00 inc VAT for Brembo pads all round, 15% extra off if you use the coupon on micksgarage.com, plus fitting of course.

I got my Juke Nismo serviced in July in my Nissan service centre and had to replace both front and rear disc's and pads
Milage on the car was 84325Km with half of that short drives around south Dublin and the other half on my Spanish trips
Front discs €138.92
Front pads €91.94
Rear discs €119.46
Rear pads €89.60
Fitting charge €403
Vat @ 13.5% €113.79
Total cost €956.71

Previous to that I've replaced the front pads at 32387Km and the rear at 71484Km
and just for pig iron I'm on my third full set of tyres

As mentioned above, unusual for both sets of discs and pads to all need replacing, at the same time.

That quote is far too high - shop around, and you'll save a couple of hundred euro, I would think.

Easy enough to have a look at the discs and measure them for wear. Seems excessive and unlikely at that mileage and also a shocking price

The quote in the OP is way too high, I agree. But probably par for the course for a main dealer.

However, as the car is a 2021 model it's likely still under warranty and as such the main dealer may feel they have a captive customer so to speak.

As for how long should pads and discs last - it brought to mind my Mammy many years ago giving out to me saying I was way too hard on shoes.

The quote in the OP is way too high, I agree. But probably par for the course for a main dealer.

However, as the car is a 2021 model it's likely still under warranty and as such the main dealer may feel they have a captive customer so to speak.

As for how long should pads and discs last - it brought to mind my Mammy many years ago giving out to me saying I was way too hard on shoes.
Did you drag your feet?

Some people ride their breaks, some don't. The amount and nature of your driving is what matters, not how long the break pads and discs are on the car.

I got my Juke Nismo serviced in July in my Nissan service centre and had to replace both front and rear disc's and pads
Milage on the car was 84325Km with half of that short drives around south Dublin and the other half on my Spanish trips
Front discs €138.92
Front pads €91.94
Rear discs €119.46
Rear pads €89.60
Fitting charge €403
Vat @ 13.5% €113.79
Total cost €956.71

Previous to that I've replaced the front pads at 32387Km and the rear at 71484Km
Again, what's this with the discs and pads expiring expiring at the same time? Does Nissan fit them with timers? The soubriquet "main stealers" seems well chosen by the creator, the prices are outrageous. As I pointed out above I can buy front and rear pads from Brembo inc VAT (standard fitment on Audis amongst others) for less than the dealer's price for rear pads ex VAT.

What brand parts does this dealer use BTW?

Again, what's this with the discs and pads expiring expiring at the same time? Does Nissan fit them with timers? The soubriquet "main stealers" seems well chosen by the creator, the prices are outrageous. As I pointed out above I can buy front and rear pads from Brembo inc VAT (standard fitment on Audis amongst others) for less than the dealer's price for rear pads ex VAT.

What brand parts does this dealer use BTW?
Maybe I'm just old school but when you change discs I've always changed the pads at the same time
I didn't have to replace the rear discs but they were coming towards the end of their life
and given I probably won't service this car again for two to three years depending on milage I made the decision to replace

As for the parts I presume they are standard Nissan replacement parts

Mrs P has a 2021 Nissan Juke, 60,000 km on the clock.
Just had a service and the main dealer has said both front and rear discs and pads need replacing , cost €1100.
Seems wild to me, both the cost and the fact that discs need replacing after 60,000 kilometres.
Any thoughts ?

Mine's not a Nissan, but 5ish year old car with not much mileage, around 25,000km, main dealer service told me they'd need to be done by next service, quoted around a grand too. Showed me some rust on them.

I was a bit suspicious googled it and found some reports that it's a common scam, since it's something they can show you, but in reality the rust/corrosion is often just cosmetic and they're fine, but it might be more visible if the car is not driven much.

Between this and the next service I passed the NCT, so no mention of it there.

I decided to go to an independent garage for my next service, without mentioning it, to see if they'd tell me the same. They didn't mention it either.

Last edited:
Presume nothing @Cervelo . I won't mention the name but there's a spurious brand of motor parts manufactured in the East that only the most ruthless service outlets will use. They have very short service lives and have been known to break up in use, typically clutch and brake parts; the hardware equivalents of "ditch finder" tyres.

Mine's not a Nissan, but 5ish year old car with not much mileage, around 25,000km, main dealer service told me they'd need to be done by next service, quoted around a grand too. Showed me some rust on them.
Spot on, more of the same, instill worry and fear in the target.

Unpainted metal parts on the underside of a car, exposed to weather, road debris, extremes of heat, etc will show signs of oxidisation / rust. Brake and exhaust parts, suspension components and so on show this. It doesn't mean they need replacing once oxidisation is detected. The metal backing plate on brake pads may display rust but the friction material that does the stopping is perfectly OK. If a car is parked up for a few days outdoors, the brake discs may display rust spots - they'll be sloughed off as soon as the car is driven and the brakes are applied.

So you got 13k kms on back pads? Looks like a scam to me...
Front discs €138.92
Front pads €91.94
Rear discs €119.46
Rear pads €89.60
Fitting charge €403
Vat @ 13.5% €113.79
Total cost €956.71

Maybe I'm just old school but when you change discs I've always changed the pads at the same time
I think a lot of places now recommend replacing discs with the pads, experienced same when having my Mazda serviced by the stealership.

Some of it is just money grabbing but also safety. If there is a lip on the discs through wear when you replace the pads it will take longer for them to settle in which means less braking force.

Which I have experienced in person when changing pads on my cars in years gone by. Could take a few days for the new pads to grip the old discs but the discs were pretty worn in fairness.

I think a lot of places now recommend replacing discs with the pads, experienced same when having my Mazda serviced by the stealership.
And there you have it. Money grabbing places will make that recommendation, but not honest brokers.
If there is a lip on the discs through wear when you replace the pads it will take longer for them to settle in which means less braking force.

Which I have experienced in person when changing pads on my cars in years gone by. Could take a few days for the new pads to grip the old discs but the discs were pretty worn in fairness.
If there is a rusty-looking lip on the extreme outer edge of the disc, it means the pads have never been in contact with that part of the disc's surface. It is of no consequence. No panic, once the rest of the surface of the disc isn't damaged and is above the minimum thickness stamped or engraved on the rim of the disc. If the new pads make contact with this portion of the disc, the pads are the wrong size and will be ripped to bits through contact with the lip. Major problem.
Scary. Grooves in the discs mean either hard-wearing debris like pebbles or metal material has got trapped between the pad and the disc, OR the pads have worn down to such a degree that the metal backing plates have ripped grooves in the disc, concentric grooves not like an old-fashioned LP which had only a single groove on either side. At that stage the pads and disc are scrap. Fitting new pads to discs in that state is tantamount to suicide. Ignorance is bliss but jail them anyway - defective brakes, lives at risk.

What makes you think I was scammed or ripped off????

a) given the figures you've quoted you got they changed your rear pads after 12,841 kms (7,979 miles)..
b) https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/brake-pads/ (extract below)

How long do brake pads last?​

There are no hard and fast rules on this. A set of brake pads can last from anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 miles – possibly more.
A major factor in the lifespan of the pads is down to the way the vehicle is driven.

c) based on RAC's quoted figures yours were changed somewhere between 26% and 11% of their estimated life of brake pads
d) that's why I think you were scammed...

And there you have it. Money grabbing places will make that recommendation, but not honest brokers.
Sorry but you're being a bit disingenuous here.

"While it's possible to replace brake discs without changing the brake pads, it's not recommended. Brake pads and discs wear together, and replacing one without the other can lead to uneven braking, reduced performance, and potential damage to the new components. It's generally best to replace both brake pads and discs simultaneously to ensure optimal braking performance and safety."

If there is a rusty-looking lip on the extreme outer edge of the disc, it means the pads have never been in contact with that part of the disc's surface. It is of no consequence.
This is totally incorrect, brake pads do not encompass the radius of the disc/rotor so the wear from braking can lead to a lip/edge on the discs/rotors. In the old days once a disc/rotor was still within wear limits people would file back the edge to help the pads settle down quicker. These days just replace both, as I said replacing brake pads with worn discs is dangerous if you expect to brake suddenly
Scary. Grooves in the discs mean either hard-wearing debris like pebbles or metal material has got trapped between the pad and the disc,
I didn't mention anything about grooves or any type of damage to the disc/rotors. I do however have experience with replacing brake pads on used discs/rotors and if you don't know what you are dealing with you will rear end another car super easy!

Back