Bonfire Night

When I was growing up we had bonfires in Skerries every 1st of May.
They were massive bonfires and always great fun for all the family - but then it was the 70's/early 80's.
People used to get rid of old beds/timber etc.
That tradition like many others has dissappeared - although were they anything like what went on in Cork - maybe it's a good thing ;)

I think that St John's Eve is not usually celebrated within the Pale. I always associated it with being down the West at relatives because in Carlow our bonfire night was always Hallowe'en.

I think that St John's Eve is not usually celebrated within the Pale. I always associated it with being down the West at relatives because in Carlow our bonfire night was always Hallowe'en.

Is bonfire night a celebration of living outside the Pale then :)

Always a big night in my part of Mayo and we never ever had a bonfire in November..thats for them across the water:p

Was there this week and fires every where including my own rellies who killed two birds with one stone and got rid of a lot of bulky rubbish at same time!

It originally was an old pagan rite, giving worship to the sun etc.. and like the timing for Christmas, Easter and Halloween(All souls and all saints) was appropriated by the christians

No one burns rubbish at home anymore for fear of prosecution so this is a one off opportunity( though in reality prosecution just as likely for June 23rd as any other night).

Its a nice tradition and like other posters said it was one of my favourite nights of the year...we got to stay up late around a big fire and got treats...

the problem in urban areas is not the bonfires but the moronic anti social thugs who lack all civic responsibility 365 days a year

Back