BOI: Overdraft Facility Fee

In further clarification, I haven't, that I am aware of, had any "special" conditions applied by the bank to my account: it is the situation that if the OD facility is not used, they do not charge for it. If you use it once or more in a given year, they do apply the charge.

Maybe if Bank_Manager is reading, s/he could clarify as I think BM is a BoI manager?

In further clarification, I haven't, that I am aware of, had any "special" conditions applied by the bank to my account: it is the situation that if the OD facility is not used, they do not charge for it. If you use it once or more in a given year, they do apply the charge.

Thanks Dreamerb, that's understood. I'd assume in my case they were entitled to apply the charge because I did use the OF facility a while back. I want to check out if it's applied even if you only use the facility once - or even if you don't use the facility at all.

I still think it's a whole lot more constructive to actually query banks on these charges rather than just changing banks the first time you're unhappy with a fee - in which case you'd spend your life moving accounts! I've challenged my bank a few times over charges, all of which they were entitled to impose, and each time they refunded me.

I'd hazard a guess that 99% of people grumble about charges but don't actually complain directly to the bank, so the percentages work in their favour - it's hardly any skin off their collective noses to refund a fiver here and a tenner there if it means they keep the customer. So, it's always worth a try.

I want to check out if it's applied even if you only use the facility once - or even if you don't use the facility at all.
If you don't use it, it's not, if you do use it, it is.

And yes, I agree it can be more contructive to query than to go to the hassle of switching; you'll find a lot of banks have similar conditions in any case.

What's bugging you?! Relax the head! Are we not entitled to ask simple questions here about banking matters without bumping in to Mr Grumpy? :rolleyes:

Attack the post, not the poster, as per the .

I confirmed that the BOI fee is an annual fee and that it is charged whether you use the overdraft or not and I suggested that you bank with someone who offers fee free and interest free overdrafts-not a bad suggestion I would have thought.

Attack the post, not the poster, as per the .

Do posting guidelines not apply to you too? :rolleyes:

I suggested that you bank with someone who offers fee free and interest free overdrafts-not a bad suggestion I would have thought.

I thought the other suggestion was better advice (ie challenge the bank), but hey, we all have free will.

Apart from "please keep your comments civil"? Are you exempt from that one?

I look forward to hearing the results of your challenge to BoI. Best of luck.

Tut tut, surely the guidelines recommend that users read a thread before actually commenting on it? See Dreamerb's helpful and informative contribution.

And not a smiley in sight.

Bet there isn't a smile in sight either, ;) Cheer up.

Apart from "please keep your comments civil"? Are you exempt from that one?

No. If you feel I was attcking you by saying 'deal with-by either paying it or moving bank' then I'm afraid you've taken it the wrong way. Whatever.

Bushfire said:
Tut tut, surely the guidelines recommend that users read a thread before actually commenting on it? See Dreamerb's helpful and informative contribution.

Indeed-and so I am interested to see what BoI say-bearing in mind that sun_sparks has said otherwise above and the BoI's own Terms and Conditions say:

The overdraft facility fee will be appiled annually thereafter at the anniversary of the last such charge for so long as the overdraft facility or other overdraft arrangment is required and provided by the Bank

(I guess 'required and provided' is open to interpretation)

Bushfire said:
Bet there isn't a smile in sight either, ;) Cheer up.

All is well here-I wouldn't let something like this bother me. How times change so quickly.....

No. If you feel I attcking you by say 'deal with-by either paying it or moving bank' then I'm afraid you've taken it the wrong way. Whatever.

Indeed-and so I am interested to see what BoI say-bearing in mind that sun_sparks has said otherwise above and the BoI's own Terms and Conditions say:

The overdraft facility fee will be appiled annually thereafter at the anniversary of the last such charge for so long as the overdraft facility or other overdraft arrangment is required and provided by the Bank

(I guess 'required and provided' is open to interpretation)

All is well here-I would let something like this bother me. How times change so quickly.....

Honest, my last comment on this, we already 'agreed' to differ on the Donegal thread - presume that's what this is about??!!

You missed my point when I referred to Dreamerb's information - he clarified that once the OD facility is used you are liable to pay the E25, and I have used the OD facility. So there's no challenge! But you underestimate BOI's willingness to refund fees, even when they're legitimate, once you challenge them (eg using the line 'but I've been an excellent customer for 20+ years') - worked for me before and many others. Try it with your bank some time.

Finally..........I wouldn't categorise "deal with it" as an attack on me, I'm not that sensitive, it was just catty and unhelpful to say the least. If a post irritates you so why not just ignore it and leave those willing to be helpful to do the job? If I ever have to ring the Samaritans I hope they don't tell me to "DEAL WITH IT"...smiley alert: :D

That's me done, if I was a grown-up AAM moderator I'd apply the lock now.....unless you'd like the final word.

Back