Bizarre squad announced by Trap today no one else agree?

queenlex

I dont know where to start on this the midfield is a combination of the poorest and most inexperienced (or bit of both) as the case may be I have seen in years. If Stan had picked this squad they would have called for his head before the game even took place, you would wonder if Trap watches any English football at all at times (tho team did play well in the two away games and at least have a plan now).

I am assuming he has left Joey O Brien and ANdy Reid out for personal reasons this is something none of teh current top managers would contemplate even gallas got away with his infamous sulk at Birmingham last year.

Absolutely baffled by the selection one of fwe poitives is Keith Andrews selection, no disrespect to Gibson or even Whelan but tehy are nowhere near to ANdrews when it comes to being selected having seen them all in action and Andrews is playing at least. In fairness there are a few guys in the LOI who should be ahead of Gibson Keith Fahey of Pats for one (once he gets his move to ENgland I expect him to be in the squad going slightly off point).

Anyone else have any opinions on the squad?

I dont know where to start on this the midfield is a combination of the poorest and most inexperienced (or bit of both) as the case may be I have seen in years. If Stan had picked this squad they would have called for his head before the game even took place, you would wonder if Trap watches any English football at all at times (tho team did play well in the two away games and at least have a plan now).

I am assuming he has left Joey O Brien and ANdy Reid out for personal reasons this is something none of teh current top managers would contemplate even gallas got away with his infamous sulk at Birmingham last year.

Absolutely baffled by the selection one of fwe poitives is Keith Andrews selection, no disrespect to Gibson or even Whelan but tehy are nowhere near to ANdrews when it comes to being selected having seen them all in action and Andrews is playing at least. In fairness there are a few guys in the LOI who should be ahead of Gibson Keith Fahey of Pats for one (once he gets his move to ENgland I expect him to be in the squad going slightly off point).

Anyone else have any opinions on the squad?

Haven't seen it yet have you a link to the squad.

I am assuming he has left Joey O Brien and ANdy Reid out for personal reasons t

Dunno about Joey O'Brien
But Andy Reid is dropped as Il Trap prefers two attacking wingers and two defensive central midfielders. That ain't Andy Reid and he isn't going to be picked anytime soon. It's not personal, just tactics. You're reading too much into it queenlex.

[broken link removed]
Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Dean Kiely (West Brom), Joe Murphy (S****horpe United).

Defenders: Paul McShane (Hull City), John O'Shea (Manchester United), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Kevin Kilbane (Wigan Athletic), Alex Bruce (Ipswich Town), Damien Delaney (QPR), Kevin Foley (Wolves).

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic), Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Damien Duff (Newcastle United)
Stephen Hunt (Reading), Liam Miller (Sunderland), Andy Keogh (Wolves).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Liverpool), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Anthony Stokes (Sheffield United), Caleb Folan (Hull City), Shane Long (Reading).

Hey mods, why is S****horpe United filtered?

Cant understand why Rory Delap isnt in the squad - is better than at least 3 of the midfielders chosen.

One thing that I've noticed about Trap is what seems like a phobia against using substitutes. International football is a 14 man game now - if you dont use 3 subs in good time, you are at a major disadvantage against a team with 3 fresh players on the field.

Totally agree with Csirl. Delap is creating goals every week with his missile throws. Look what he did to Arsenal - a team of top class players and he destroyed them - they had no answer to his throws. Every time the ball goes out of play the opposition get into a state of panic. Cannot understand his omission.

Delap was probably due a call up at least, Andy Reid hasn't been getting game time with Sunderland but same can be said for Glenn whelan who I think will eventually lose out if he can't break through at Stoke. Delaps throws would be an advantage to Ireland and it would have been interesting to test this out in a friendly. I think one less attacker and one more midfielder would have been better.

If stan had of picked this team, we would probobley be already out of the running for the world cup.

If Trapp gets us to the WC, nobody will care who he chose or left out.

Delap. Sorry but he has a fantastic ability to take a throw . . Right, I have watched him play and have been less then impressed, certainly not to think that his inclusion would make a huge differance to the choices we have. Also we have no target man or a big team, so being able to throw it like that will be less advantagous to Ireland.

As for Reid, well hes obviously huffed and puffed and upset trapp. I for one put my trust in the Italian. One thing Ireland has been missing is discipline (harrys chip challenge, fish and chips before holland game etc). Kerr tried to instill that in the players who needed it but simply didnt have the respect or support of his employers or team.

Make no mistake, If Trap gets us to South Africa it will of been a superb achievement given the average squad he has had to work with. Leaving out reid sends a good message to all the players on the team that nobody is too big to be dropped. Playing Whelan and Gibson says that if you show enough hunger you will get a chance and that he is looking in the long term at improving the team (afterall howelse can you blood new players, cant always wait until everythings going right).

Up until now trapp has been lucky in a way, but isnt that the way some managers just are. Top managers get the best out of the players they have. If Ireland dont qualify for the world cup, as far as I am concerned it will of simply been down to a lack of quality on the pitch. Its easy to pick out Andy Reid and say he would make all the differance, totally neglecting to factor in the managers tactics .

If Trap gets us to South Africa it will of been a superb achievement given the average squad he has had to work with.

I dont agree. People always go on about us being a small country with limited resources and average squad. However, the reality is that we are one of no more than about 10 countries where the majority of the team are regular starters in one of the worlds elite leagues (Premiership, Primera, Serie A). It is rare that we face an opponent with as many players playing at such a high level. The standard of most of our opponents is far inferior to the standard of football these players play on a weekly basis at their clubs.

.. the majority of the team are regular starters in one of the worlds elite leagues (Premiership, Primera, Serie A).

For c**p teams in one of the worlds elite leagues (Premiership I think you mean ?

How many are first choice for the Big 4 ? Keane - possibly first-choice. O'Shea ? - not first choice. Given & Duff ? C**p team. ditto Dunne, ditto Stoke, ditto Wigan, ditto (time will tell) Hull.

For c**p teams in one of the worlds elite leagues (Premiership I think you mean ?

How many are first choice for the Big 4 ? Keane - possibly first-choice. O'Shea ? - not first choice. Given & Duff ? C**p team. ditto Dunne, ditto Stoke, ditto Wigan, ditto (time will tell) Hull.

I agree. How many of our players get Champions League experience on a regular basis or have ever had it? Keane, O'Shea, Finnan and McGeady are all that come to mind.

Delap. Sorry but he has a fantastic ability to take a throw . . Right, I have watched him play and have been less then impressed, certainly not to think that his inclusion would make a huge differance to the choices we have

Is Whelan a better player? Is O'Dea? I don't think so and as regards target men we have Dunne, O'Shea, S. Reid (when fit), Kilbane, and Doyle is great in the air so it would make a differnece I think.

I agree. How many of our players get Champions League experience on a regular basis or have ever had it? Keane, O'Shea, Finnan and McGeady are all that come to mind.

The Celtic players get it every year that doesn't make them world beaters, you could pick many very poor sides out of regular champions league players.

The Celtic players get it every year that doesn't make them world beaters, you could pick many very poor sides out of regular champions league players.

Celtic are as good as if not better than many of the premiership teams below the top four though. I could pick many poor sides out of regular premiership and championship players as well.

Celtic are as good as if not better than many of the premiership teams below the top four though. I could pick many poor sides out of regular premiership and championship players as well.
I think Celtic would be aiming for more top of the bottom half of the table.

www.irishtimes.com said:
Andy Reid may have forced his way back into the Sunderland first team but his failure to make the latest Republic of Ireland squad has not surprised manager Roy Keane in the slightest. Keane cannot understand the furore surrounding Reid's omission, telling the midfielder to view his absence as a challenge.

Giovanni Trapattoni has yet to call on the services of Reid - the 26-year-old has not played a single minute under the Italian - and the issue has dominated coverage of recent matches.

And when Reid was left out of the 23-man panel for the friendly against Poland later this month, this morning's headlines once again focused on his non-involvement.

Keane, however, is astonished by the level of publicity the issue has attracted.

"What is the big deal? Someone texted me yesterday to say Andy Reid wasn't in the Irish squad," Keane said today. "What's the big deal?

"The manager has not picked him — he has not picked lots of players. It's the manager's choice. Reidy has been left out for me lately — he could be left out tomorrow night [against Blackburn].

"What's the big deal? It's the manager's choice, and the manager has got more experience than we will ever dream of. If he thinks Reidy is not in his plans at this moment in time, then that's a challenge to Reidy. That's all it is, it's a challenge to him.

"I am sure it's grabbed headlines, but I am amazed by the publicity he seems to be getting. My God."

I think Celtic would be aiming for more top of the bottom half of the table.

Mid table then! :)

I am not a Celtic fan but I would place them higher than that. I put them in the same bracket as someone like Villa. Their home form alone would guarantee that they would be fighting for a European place i.e 5th or 6th. No-where near top 4 but no premiership club really is.

Mid table then! :)

I am not a Celtic fan but I would place them higher than that. I put them in the same bracket as someone like Villa. Their home form alone would guarantee that they would be fighting for a European place i.e 5th or 6th. No-where near top 4 but no premiership club really is.

I think maybe a couple of years ago but they would not compete with villa. I would like to think that they could but the standard would be so much higher every week that they would lose alot more points than they already do. As it stands they lose against some very weak teams in the SPL. I think if they were in the premiership they could at best be top half and with a small few injuries be staring at a relegation fight. You only to have to go through their squad to see the difference in class.

Back