Bird flu masks

colc1

Just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the masks the people picking up the dead birds wear? Do they guarantee protection from the flu or do they just lessen the chances of getting it? If they guarantee protection why not give one to everyone???

I've never seen the movie but I get the picture thanks might be a good investment if things get bad though really very few people have died so far from it. More people probably die from the 'regular' flu every year in fact I'm pretty sure of that

colc1 said:
Just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the masks the people picking up the dead birds wear? Do they guarantee protection from the flu or do they just lessen the chances of getting it? If they guarantee protection why not give one to everyone???
Possibly because the actual risks may be extremely low (judging by the number of [broken link removed] and the number of deaths arising). In fact I'm not sure that they have even confirmed the possibility of transmission of H5N1 from birds to humans at all yet. Obviously reasonable precautions should be taken but talk of masks for the general public seems to me to be a gross overreaction.

...agreed....there are no cases published of human to human transmission of the virus.....so far it is bird to bird....i

ninsaga said:
...agreed....there are no cases published of human to human transmission of the virus.....so far it is bird to bird....i

And bird to human, no?

colc1 said:
How else could humans be catching it???? You must be right ccovich

as I understand it...they got it from eating sick birds...living/working in close proximity to sick poulty

Isn't the primary disease vector coughing and sneezing with a window when the patient is infectious?
After they're dead they're no longer infectious.

Any MDs/vets on AAM?

I was listening to a professor in virology talking on the TV this mornng. He said :-

1. You can not get bird flu easily. Even if you eat birds that had the virus, it would have been completely destroyed in the cooking process. (Unlike CJD, where the prion responsible is impossible to kill in the cooking process).

2. Only people who are in very close contact with infected birds are at high risk. Plucking infected birds (when the virus would be highly airborne) would carry the highest risk

There is no point in wearing masks if you are not in close contact with infected birds. Now if humans were to have it then it would be necessary, but then they would be nursed in isolation units, which I believe the Dept of Health have on standby.

...the biggest concern is that if it mutates into a form that is transmittable from human's ... if that's the case then we are all screwed.

ninsaga

CCOVICH said:
And bird to human, no?
Not as far as I know. How else might humans contract H5N1? There are lots of possibilities other than infected birds.

ninsaga said:
...the biggest concern is that if it mutates into a form that is transmittable from human's ... if that's the case then we are all screwed.
No. Not everybody will be susceptible to it. If this bodes the end of humanity then I'll eat my hat.

ClubMan said:
Not as far as I know. How else might humans contract H5N1? There are lots of possibilities other than infected birds.
Such as? I'm not disagreeing, but would be interested to know if the disease cannot be transmitted directly from birds to humans.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible - just that, as far as I know, no case has been proven to have been a result of bird to human contamination.

Back