Bin Charges - what does it cost you?

techman

Living in the West of Ireland and have just received the six monthly household bin charge.

€250 for six months, payable to a private company. No other service available in the area.

Would be interested to see the costs for other areas.

I live in Ratoath and pay e310 per annum but get a tax refund on this at the marginal rate.

County Council - €460.00 per annum (if one pays for the year before end June, otherwise €500.00)

Private Operator - €390.00 per annum

Recycling and Trash bin supplied by both, and bins are 240litres

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in County Cork - €185 for 6 months with Collins County Waste

Dublin City Council: pay as you go - €2.75 (before tax relief) per refuse bag. Probably one every 2-3 weeks.

Dont have an annual fee but use bin tags (fingal coco). As a comparison heres what ours is.

As the green bin is free, and collected every fortnight. We recycle as much as possible.

Therefore the black bin only needs to be put out every fortnight. €8 each time. (€16 a month) works out €200 thereabout for a year.

Tenner per tag, every two weeks: 260 per annum.

(To compare properly, you'd have to break in down per bag/bin, no?)

Last edited:
South Dublin
€8 per collection (grey bin - 240l)
Green bin (recycling bin for paper/cans/plastics) collected for free every 2 weeks

South Co. Dublin: Using Panda, 277.00 for all of last year (240 ltrs).

I expect the cost to be lower this year as I've installed an insink waste disposal and am only putting out a bin 1 time in about 6 weeks now. Most of the rubbish was food waste.

Service includes green bins (plastics, glass, paper, electrical waste) every 2 weeks for free.

No, but they're trying to get rid of them with some spurious case. This is because (a) Panda have made a loss making business super-profitable by running it as a business and not as a theft from citizens (b) they're winning customers hand over fist from the council because of cost and customer service.

The various Dublin councils have ganged upto try to get them private collectors to tender with the council. Conflict of interests methinks, this surely violates competition law and Panda, I'm sure, will take this to the EU to copper fasten their business.

Panda are a great service provider. One example: the Panda bins are left neatly where they were put out by their staff - the guys have no problem taking overflow if it's neatly presented. When I was with the council, the collected bins were left all over the place with pieces of rubbish littering the surrounding area. Appalling.

Last edited:
Louth: Use bin-bags, €4.30 per bag, once every 2-3 weeks.
Visit the local Recycling centre every 6-8 weeks, entry fee €2.

Approx annual cost in 2007 - €98

Last edited:
Also live in West Cork no bin collection we use the recycling Center and pay about 6 euro a week for rubbish most of which is nappies. The rest we separate into about 10 different recycling bins. So about 312 euros a year + time and fuel traveled.

South Dublin c c.
€8.00 per tag - €88 last year (but there are only 2 of us!)
Green bin and glass bottle bank for re-cycleables

Forgot to mention, this doesn't include the tax relief (20%) and it's also for three adults and three kids. I guess to correctly compare prices you need a formula like...

ComparisonPrice = ( (AnnualCharge + (BagCharge OR LiftWeightCharge)) - Tax relief) / NumberOfPeople

So my effective charge is about EUR37 per person, per year.

Last edited:
Bought Rubbish Bin from Private Co for 40 Euro then 10 Euro thereafter for a tag. Probably put it out on average every 6 weeks. - 2 adults in house.
Recycle bags 2.75 each put out at least once a month if not every 3 weeks.
Have a composter in the back garden and bring bottles to bottle bank when passing.
Therefore somewhere between 120 and 150 euro per year.
Area south Meath.