Big Jack

Ian O'Doherty has an article in today's Indo putting Euro 88 into the context of the Irish sporting culture at the time, the opposition in CBS schools to soccer, the Ban etc
Before Euro '88 supporting the Irish international soccer team was a minority sporting interest, unlike GAA which held the central position unchallenged really.
After Euro '88 the green soccer jerseys were everywhere. It was now mainstream.
There was always a huge appetite for international football , the biggest crowds I ever stood in were all pre 88 - games v France , Scotland England , Northern Ireland and Switzerland.
The game v France in the early 80's was a case in point , the attendance was officialy 52,000 but there was thousands more in attendance - dangerously so.
All the above games accepted cash at the stiles and the FAI automatically downplayed attendances for monetary reasons , I remember that the Lansdowne Road terrace was a mass of swaying humanity.
If Lansdowne was dangerous then Dalyer was on a totally different level - games against Russia and Turkey saw masses of people standing on the School End shed.
The worst was a friendly against the then reigning World champions Italy , the FAI decided against making the game all ticket despite the drawing power of the opposition.
Crowds turned up in their multitudes to find that some of the turnstiles were closed causing a huge overcrowding situation , I was never so scared in my life and it was only due to the responsible behaviourof the crowd that people weren't killed , gates were broken down as a matter of neccessity to get out of the crush.
What 1988 , 1990 and 1994 did was spread the popularity of the game to the country as a whole.

Last edited:
The game against England at Wembley was a great performance. The 1-0 win over Spain at Lansdowne is another. Completely bullied the opposition off the park that day. They had no answer.

Yes they were probably better performances than some of our tournament victories, where we rode our luck to a large extent.
Although Spain did have our number over there in that qualification campaign, if we'd had to get past them in a two leg would have been a tough ask.

It would have been great for Jack to have seen Leeds back in the top flight next season , as they are just about there.

What 1988 , 1990 and 1994 did was spread the popularity of the game to the country as a whole.

Spot on @Deiseblue

When Ray put the ball in the England net, the entire country went mad.

In a phone call minutes after the game ended, which seemed to last a hundred years after he scored, my uncle in Kilkenny - a hurling heartland - told my father that there were cripples walking down there.

My father reckoned the best football he had seen from Ireland up to then was in the Ireland v Russia game in the same (Euro 88) tournament.

Last edited:
That was some day alright , when Ray put the ball in the England net . I would say that every Irish person throughout the world went mad . I think that after that game even every non- sporting person in Ireland knew who Ray Houghton was.
There was,nt a person to be seen out and about when that game was been played. Oh for moments like that again .

Yes Purple, Golf is a sport. It is a sport at normal level but it is a buisness at pro- level.
When fat men in their 50's can play it as a professional level is it really a sport?
Or is it like Darts; a game that requires skill but not really a sport?

I will have to correct you on that Purple. There are many not-so-fat- people who play golf,me included. If you dont mind me saying so but I get the impression that you do not play golf. There is nothing as nice as a three or four hour round of golf. Its enjoyment and it is exercise too.
I dont think you can compare golf to darts, with all due respect.

I would say that every English person knew who Ray Houghton was after that famous win too.

Last edited:
I will have to correct you on that Purple. There are many not-so-fat- people who play golf,me included. If you dont mind me saying so but I get the impression that you do not play golf. There is nothing as nice as a three or four hour round of golf. Its enjoyment and it is exercise too.
I dont think you can compare golf to darts, with all due respect.
I've played golf a few times and really enjoyed it. Nice gentle exercise and a bit of a chat. I wouldn't be able to play a game of football though, or Rugby. I'd handle a game of darts though...

Given the fact that you have played golf do you still think that it is not a sport ? . I play three times a week , I do not take it too serious or do not get too excited by scores either but really enjoy it. I would not play football or rugby either because I would not be fit enough. I cannot wait for my next game of golf tomorrow morning. I would leave the darts to you though....

Spot on @Deiseblue

In a phone call minutes after the game ended, which seemed to last a hundred years after he scored, my uncle in Kilkenny - a hurling heartland - told my father that there were cripples walking down there.
Jack saw Kilkenny play hurling a couple of times when he visited Donie Butler who was great friends with Jack long after both left the FAI. It was Donie that was primarily responsible for Jack becoming manager and Jack was godfather to Donie's daughter.

Back