Best way to invest €500 monthly

Cyclingmagpie

Hi,

43 male looking to invest about €500 monthly but looking for the best way with the least amount of tax hassle for 10+ years and from previous post i think these are probably my best options as only will be €500 a month or would i be better saving up a lump sum over the months?

Debating one of the following :
  • Zurich/Irish life style Fund
  • Indvidual non dividend Stocks
  • Berkshire Hataway (BRKB)
Against the following :
  • Investment Trusts (Fees & currency conversion)
  • ETFs (Deemed disposal)

About me :
  • AVC is maxed out
  • No Mortgage
  • No debt

Least tax hassle would definitely be one of the managed funds. Not necessarily best returns versus your other options but there's a chap here that offers Zurich funds at I think as low an expense as you can get them. Gsheehy.

I'd agree with delta_bravo. If I wanted to avoid hassle, I'd go with one of the Zurich funds largely/fully exposed to developed world equity (I assume they have something like that) from one of the execution-only brokers. Ideally I'd look for a fund that passively tracks a major index like the MSCI World. Not sure if Zurich offers this, but some of the life companies certainly do.

How is your pension fund invested?

Another approach is to keep your pension invested 100% in global equities and keep any after-tax savings on deposit.

Also, could you invest in your home to make it more energy efficient?

what you can do is open an account with a broker like Trading 212 that allows you to set up your own fund (they call it a pie). You add whatever stocks you want to the pie in the proportion you want that stock to be of the pie. Each month you can invest your 500 EUR and it will buy as much of the stocks as it can for the 500 EUR. You will end up with fractional shares this way. For me its a better way to make lots of smaller investments into a larger number of stocks.

The bigger bonus is that as you are buying stocks, you only have a CGT tax liability as you dispose of them. Any that pay dividends would incur a taxable income gain each year though.

How is your pension fund invested?

Another approach is to keep your pension invested 100% in global equities and keep any after-tax savings on deposit.

Also, could you invest in your home to make it more energy efficient?
thanks , the home is 120 years old so could always do with some extra insulation

home is 120 years old so could always do with some extra insulation
With all the available grants these days, you might well find that retrofitting your home to make it more energy efficient will provide the best return for your after-tax savings.

And at your age, your pension should be largely, or wholly, invested in global equities.

Back