Best orientation for natural light.

maryrose

.Hi, Could somebody tell me which is the best orientation for optimum natural daylight / sunshine, ahouse with front facing south, or west, or back facing south, or west. Am I correct in thinking back facing south is the better option.

My soon to be lived in house has a south facing back garden and was chosen for this reason, the back garden will be a sun trap with fairly high walls which I like, and the kitchen/dining room get sunlight from about 11am onwards and it will keep this area warm and bright. The living room is north facing which can also work well if the TV is in this room as you have little sunlight/reflections.

good luck in the new home! and mind the sunburn.On my second time around looking for a home , and trying to avoid dark and gloomy, and freezin in the winter, which in this climate could be any day of the year!

My parents house is south facing, and while the kitchen is warm, the north side is very cold, and never comfortable, I don't think it's a great orientation. Our own house is pretty good, the kitchen faces east and gets sun in the morning, the sitting room gets sun in the evening. However, I think the ideal is a west facing garden. That way you get long bright summer evenings in the garden (weather permitting!!!!) and most of the house gets some heating from the sun. If you work all day, you still have the sun in the garden in the evening when you have some chance of enjoying it. It means you don't have a dark depressing room in the house (hopefully).

I think west is best, it picks up full sun from late morning until sunset. Beware builders/vendors who say the back garden is south facing. If it is even slightly east of south, you won't get great evening sun during the summer. If you are not sure, bring a compass and check.

Back