Best option for 10,000€

masterboy123

Hi,

I have never invested my money and looking for some advice here.

I have 10,000 euros which I would like to invest for a year. I am currently with AIB.

What's the best & safest option for me please?

harsh and cold reality is you are going to get little or nothing over a year, especially when DIRT is factored in. If you make more then €75 after DIRT you're doing well

Could you help me how much am I going to get for 10,000 euros for 1 year?

harsh and cold reality is you are going to get little or nothing over a year, especially when DIRT is factored in. If you make more then €75 after DIRT you're doing well

Ok so it's around €75.

I have been reading other threads. Are Prize Bond any good given no DIRT on them? Assume I don't have any winnings in a year, how much can I make out from 10,000 euros in a year?

Thanks again.

So basically we now know, 10k invested for a year in the safest option is basically worth nothing. Just wondering from a financial knowledge side of things, what did you think it would return, money wise? Im just wondering to gauge public expectations of saving Vs reality, please don't take offence.

A poster mentioned you can get interest of €75 on €10k.

So basically we now know, 10k invested for a year in the safest option is basically worth nothing. Just wondering from a financial knowledge side of things, what did you think it would return, money wise? Im just wondering to gauge public expectations of saving Vs reality, please don't take offence.

You could also call into Paddy Power and ask them for odds on Kilkenny v Tipperary in the All Ireland Final on Sunday. Then stick your 10k on either of them at 11/8 or 8/1 the draw. If it was a draw your 10k would get you €80,000.00 and your original 10k back as well. Now, where were we?

A poster mentioned you can get interest of €75 on €10k.
I think you misinterpreted my question. I know it's only e75. I was wondering how the e75 tied in with your original expectation of return? For example, did you expect to be able to get e1000, a 10 percent return say? Or did you have any expected return in mind?

What if I loose the bet?

You could also call into Paddy Power and ask them for odds on Kilkenny v Tipperary in the All Ireland Final on Sunday. Then stick your 10k on either of them at 11/8 or 8/1 the draw. If it was a draw your 10k would get you €80,000.00 and your original 10k back as well. Now, where were we?

I was expecting around 250€.

I think you misinterpreted my question. I know it's only e75. I was wondering how the e75 tied in with your original expectation of return? For example, did you expect to be able to get e1000, a 10 percent return say? Or did you have any expected return in mind?

That's 2.5% - one year deposit interest rates haven't been that high in years

I remember well, my grandfather sold his car and gave me £1,000, from the proceeds which I thought was huge money at the time.

I went into the bank to see how I could invest my windfall. There was nothing that over a year could pay me more than the equivalent of an few extra hours work at my job in the pub.

The disappointment. I thought I might as well just blow the money.

Not a lot of motivation to save/ invest when returns are so low is there?

Feels like saving at these returns can only be useful for wealth creation when seen as a means to protect yourself against having to take on expensive debt in the future e.g. car loan or similar.

Back