Best investment vehicle to (passively) harness long term stock market returns

Berkshire has a lot of the characteristics of an index fund being a diversified conglomerate (admittedly over weight financials / insurance) and with the added tax advantage of being averse to paying a dividend.....instead depoyling cash on new businesses or buying back it's own shares.

You also get two of the best capital allocaters in the biz working for you.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I'm not interested in paying interest/fees to hold my position (unless ther are very small). So spreadbetting without leverage sounds interesting. No tax! The counter-party risk for spreadbetting would certainly worry me (but it worries me for my pension too and we can't eliminate all risk). Is there any formal compensation or insurance scheme for Spreadbetting accounts?

What about CFD, can you use CFDs without an ongoing holding cost?

If one is concerned about the house risk, presumably with a spread bet on an index or ETF you can simply close the position and open another after 1,2,3 years etc or whatever time frame makes you comfortable?

Obviously this only works if your bet is showing a profit. i.e no one is keen to lock in losses every year.

Is there any formal compensation or insurance scheme for Spreadbetting accounts?

The spreadbetting firms in the UK are covered by their deposit guarantee scheme. Eg:

"Any shortfall of funds of up to £50,000 may be compensated for under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS is the compensation fund of last resort for customers of authorised financial services firms. It is designed by the UK government to act as a ‘safety net’, and usually covers private investors (retail clients) and small businesses if they have been clients of a financial services firm which becomes insolvent."

https://www.ig.com/uk/client-funds

Berkshire has a lot of the characteristics of an index fund being a diversified conglomerate (admittedly over weight financials / insurance) and with the added tax advantage of being averse to paying a dividend.....instead depoyling cash on new businesses or buying back it's own shares.

You also get two of the best capital allocaters in the biz working for you.
I bought BERK Shire stocks. Thanks for the suggestion

Congrats on taking action and thanks for resurrecting this thread.

There still is no perfect solution in Ireland for this.

How much are you holding/planning to hold in us equity? Have you looked into the US taxes on non citizen's holdings on death? I think they apply to us share like berkshire held directly.

I bought BERK Shire stocks. Thanks for the suggestion

Great - my second piece of advise if you’d like to continue down this path ;)- is forget you own it - and look at it again in twenty years.......you should also be happy to hear that Warren Buffett is joining you in purchasing BRK-B from latest annual letter...........so you’ve got the greatest capital allocater of the last 100 years agreeing with your purchase and buying BRK himself.........Buffet has been clear that he’ll only buy BRK when its trading below his conservative estimation of intrinsic value.

Thanks @SPC100 and Letiroll, I would like to keep buying BRKB every month. This is with my money after paying maximum allowed into a PRSA. I don't have a house and I may not buy it in the near future. I have another 50k in credit union for emergency fund. I don't know if I need to have that much in cash.

Back