Best Current Account

taytoman

I just wondering what bank offers the best current account interest rates? I would normally have a baance of 9-10 K in a current account

Why leave 10k in a current account? The best of them will only pay interest on balances upto 1.5k or 2k maybe. You need to move your money into a deposit account or a regular savings account if you want interest on it . (Halifax have the best rate on current accounts 10% on first 2k )

I don't think its Ulster Bank, they are increasing U first rate to €10 per month from August!

Irishlinks is correct. leaving 10k in a current account is a sure way of losing interest. Halifax probably the best - they offer 10% up to max €2,000 per month so most you could make in a year would be around €150. And remember there are terms and conditions attached i.e. you must put in so much per month. Have a look at the recently launched Everyday current account from the post-office. They do not offer interest but are exempt form other charges e.g. atm transactions, direct debits etc. Also better opening hours and bigger network of offices might be appealing.

IAnd remember there are terms and conditions attached i.e. you must put in so much per month.
You must lodge €1.5K or more per month to qualify for the interest. You can withdraw it immediately if you like.
Also better opening hours
Are you sure? Do banks close for lunch like many POs?

I wonder if the original poster means that there is €10K going through the current account each month in order to cover regular DDs/SOs etc.? Not that they are keeping that amount in a current account as a matter of course otherwise?

Back