best coupe/convertible ( folding tin top )

the MX-5 has been called "the hairdressers porsche" but strangely most drivers seem to be male...!

That's arguable...but the difference here is that the MX-5 is a great car. Rear wheel drive and plenty of poke. Handles like it's on rails. The cars named previously are not and were essentially made for women as accessories. That's the difference I suppose between sports coupe and hairdressers car. The Honda s2000 is a sports coupe. The Audi TT is a sports coupe (although has also had a dubious image).

The truth about the MX-5 now is that the new model looks great and any bloke can drive it without looking like a bt of a flower ;)

But be in no doubt...the folding metal roofed ultra chic cars you're looking at - they're chicks cars!!! If you're happy enough with that then go for the best of them...but be under no illusions as to their capabilities as cars!

Someone mentioned the SLK earlier...more of a receptionists car you could never find :) But...in saying that the new model is okay. They purposely made it more manly!

Think might wait for the Lotto to come up altogether and get the Merc SL55 AMG......now I don't think anyone could call that "girly" .....or could they? Thanks for the help folks, looks like the folding tin top market is a bit more shakey than I thought, will tread very very carefully.

I had a 206cc when they 1st came out, piece a **** is all i can say. Dealers also very unhelpful. Problems with the roof folding.

Audi TT mmmm......cool looking car. You could get a 00 for €20,000

I had a 206cc when they 1st came out, piece a **** is all i can say. Dealers also very unhelpful. Problems with the roof folding.

Audi TT mmmm......cool looking car. You could get a 00 for €20,000

The garage gave my wife one this evening (the 206 that is) on loan and it's a heap of junk. Top down..... it rattles like a childs toy, hit a pothole and you think the doors are gonna fall off. Don't but one they are junk.

Mid-range tin-tops (non-french therefore hopefully more reliable).
Astra
Eos (golf)
Focus

Consider if the premium you will pay is worth the extra 6-7 days a year you can drive with the top down. Why not just buy a better regular car such as a 2nd hand 3 series or A4?

Consider if the premium you will pay is worth the extra 6-7 days a year you can drive with the top down. Why not just buy a better regular car such as a 2nd hand 3 series or A4?

checked out Met Eireann site. Believe it or not Ireland gets average of 1400 - 1700 hours of sunshine a year ( I didn't think so either ! ) So should be sufficient to enjoy a cabrio. But hear what u say, the BMW 3 series coupe in silver around 01-02 would be a nice car.

But hear what u say, the BMW 3 series coupe in silver around 01-02 would be a nice car.

I'm going to go further out on a limb here and say all cabrio's are for women. Not trying to put you off buying one...but I really think they are. Even a 630i soft top looks silly with the top down...unless you're hot...and female :D

Men just look like complete posers...or worse complete losers driving around with the wind in their hair. Honestly!!! :)

But I've had my rant on the subject...I will never buy a cabriolet. I don't care if it's an Aston or a Beamer you're talking about...I'll always go for the coupe option!

Back