best coupe/convertible ( folding tin top )

Graham_07

Been thinking about folding hard-top. Anyone got experience of either the peugeot 206cc or 307cc or Megane or any other. Budget wont go to the higher end ones like the merk slk or such so any comments on the more reasonably priced ones ? Are the roofs fiddly? Any electrical problems? Do the drive ok top down?

Friend works as a service manager for Peugot and when I asked about the peugot models he told me to steer clear because of multiple problems with the mechanisms, leaking etc. Very general advice but given he worked there I took it...

Peugeot are awful cars...just look at every car survey and you will find them at the dead last...
It's a shame as their designs are very good..
Having said that renault's are only slightly better.
Have you considered the VW eos? I think even the opel tigra is a better option

The EOS looks good but since they're still fairly new they're pricey, mind you they have a brilliant idea with the sunroof and folding roof built in as one. Pity about the peugeots as I think the 206cc and the new 207cc look great. Have driven the new tigra on holidays a few times and they're pretty good although found the boot mechanism a bit fiddly with the roof down. Dont suppose anyone got the numbers for next wednesdays' lotto ? a BMW 3 series convertible would be the business.

The EOS looks good but since they're still fairly new they're pricey, mind you they have a brilliant idea with the sunroof and folding roof built in as one. Pity about the peugeots as I think the 206cc and the new 207cc look great. Have driven the new tigra on holidays a few times and they're pretty good although found the boot mechanism a bit fiddly with the roof down. Dont suppose anyone got the numbers for next wednesdays' lotto ? a BMW 3 series convertible would be the business.

What about a Mini? It is a BMW after all!

What about a Mazda MX5. (always go japanese for reliability) Those that heve them here seem satisfied.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=50984&highlight=mazda

The mx-5 only came out in folding hard top in 2007 and at €35K for 2 seats is a bit pricey. Up to then it was made as a soft-top only. Although noone can dispute that the Mx-5 is the best selling soft-top in the world ( Guinness Book fo records ) and you never hear a bad word about them.

Been thinking about folding hard-top. Anyone got experience of either the peugeot 206cc or 307cc or Megane or any other. Budget wont go to the higher end ones like the merk slk or such so any comments on the more reasonably priced ones ? Are the roofs fiddly? Any electrical problems? Do the drive ok top down?

Drove the GF mas 206cc and its best described not as a tin top but a tin can.........terrible drive !

We owned a megane coupe also a while back not a pleasant drive either.

I've just purchased a Megane Cabrio, having driven a Megan Coupe for 6 years, and a Renault 19 Salon previous to that and I love it. (Safe to say I love Renault cars)

Thus far having only had 4 days to cruise around with the top down I am very pleased. I'm also satisifed with the drive when the top is up.

Take the various cars in your price range for a test drive - only you can decide - but I love mine :)

Wollran

I like the look of the Megane, certainly over the Peugeot. But they are very heavy, and the 1.6 is too sluggish. That said, its a city cruiser car, so engine is not important.

However, the mazda mx5 simply HAS to be the one to chose
Theres a relatively new model out, and after all, its the biggest selling convertible in the world since the first day it was sold in the early '90s.
Its a 2 seater, designed to be a 2-seater. all the other we've mentioned were originally 5-door hatchbacks, changed to have a folding roof.

EDIT: p.s. i think i read in the lasst few days in one of the broadsheets that the tin roof mx5 has a lot of road noise, as opposed to the soft-top.

I wouldn't bother. Climate here is rubbish. French electrics are too.

I wouldn't bother. Climate here is rubbish.

Passed a 307cc on the M1 between Balbriggan and Donabate exits yesterday. the poor girl looked absolutely FREEZIN and was sitting on top of the steering-wheel crouched under the windscreen to stay out of the wind!

She obviously didn't read the convertible drivers handbook about driving on motorways at motorway speeds :)

Are you looking for a 2 seater, or 4 seater?

I think the micra would tend be considered a girly car, which might not suit the OP judging by the name.
Personally, I think the 206 cc is the ugliest of the bunch.
Have you considered the astra?

I think the micra would tend be considered a girly car, which might not suit the OP judging by the name.

Er...aren't nearly all folding metal-tin roof cars or soft tops by their very nature girlie??

The Peugeot, The Opel Astra/Tigra, The Renault...they're all marketed directly at women and 99 times out of a 100 when you see one there's a girl behind the wheel.

Er...aren't nearly all folding metal-tin roof cars or soft tops by their very nature girlie??

The Peugeot, The Opel Astra/Tigra, The Renault...they're all marketed directly at women and 99 times out of a 100 when you see one there's a girl behind the wheel.

Funny you should say that: I believe it can be empirically proven that Mercedes SLKs are are only ever driven by blonde females.....

OK. Make that the micra is the most girly of the lot.

the MX-5 has been called "the hairdressers porsche" but strangely most drivers seem to be male...!

Back