Bernard McNamara - Do you feel sorry for him?

There is a fourth category affected and it is the non homeowners who will pay higher taxes and have less services due to the property bubble.

There will also be those who will gain from the collapse. Current house purchasers and investors probably. Liquidation firms and accountants for the next year or so.

There is a fourth category affected and it is the non homeowners who will pay higher taxes and have less services due to the property bubble.
There are lots of more categories:
1. Business owners facing huge rents, and increased charges and taxes and decreased sales.
2. Social walfare recipients
3. Taxpayers in general
4. Motorists - doubling of NCT for >10 year old cars, increased insurance, unmaintained roads etc.

The list goes on and on when you think about it. Noticeable exceptions could be TDs and associated cronies.

They could have rented, just like people do in other countries. Oh, and if enough people had stayed at home with mammy and daddy the boom wouldn’t have been so big and the crash would have happened sooner. Anyway, that’s not the point I was making. Anyone selling something in a commercial setting will get the best price they can for it, be it you or I selling a second hand car or kitchen table or a developer selling a house. Suggesting that the root cause of our problems was the “greedy developers” is rubbish. Where corruption and bribery came into play it was a different matter.

Renting houses would not have stopped the boom from happening. Investors were falling over each other to buy houses to rent. In fact if investors had been kept out of the market by way of tax discentives (eg Bacon report) then property prices wouldn't have risen so drastically because we wouldn't have had investors competing on an unfair footing with potential home-owners.

And anyway, up to recently (last 3-4 years), the rental market as a minefield for renters with people not knowing what their rent was going to be from one year to the next. How was anybody supposed to raise a family or put down roots if you had to move every 12 months.

BTW I have never suggested that the root cause of our problems is greedy developers. Of course they are/were entitled to squeeze every penny from selling their houses.

Just don't expect me to show sympathy when it goes wrong.

Investors were falling over each other to buy houses to rent. In fact if investors had been kept out of the market by way of tax discentives (eg Bacon report) then property prices wouldn't have risen so drastically because we wouldn't have had investors competing on an unfair footing with potential home-owners.

And anyway, up to recently (last 3-4 years), the rental market as a minefield for renters with people not knowing what their rent was going to be from one year to the next. How was anybody supposed to raise a family or put down roots if you had to move every 12 months.

Here we go again with this. Not all investors were falling over in the rush to buy property. The yields were atrocious so it didn't make sense to buy. Apart from that the purchase price plus stamp duty were gone crazy. Do you know that Bacon's recommendations were implemented and had to be changed within 2 years because Bacon was wrong.

My own view is that young first time buyers lost the run of themselves. How could any sane person think it was a good idea to get saddled with a 100% mortgage on 7+ times salary, plus ficitional rent a room rent as income in a 2 bed box with half a parking space in the middle of nowhere and with no services and a mortgage term of 40 years. Someone please explain that to me.

No all landlords increased rents annually. I have never done so with a sitting tenant. I'm always glad to have a long term tenant and they are not easy to find. The rental market in most well regulated countries is index linked, that is perfectly normal. There was nothing stopping you negotiating a long term lease at a fixed rent. You'd be amazed at the queue of landlords who'd like that.

Not all investors were falling over in the rush to buy property. The yields were atrocious so it didn't make sense to buy. Apart from that the purchase price plus stamp duty were gone crazy. Do you know that Bacon's recommendations were implemented and had to be changed within 2 years because Bacon was wrong.

Yes I'm well aware that the Bacon report was implemented and then the changes reversed.

I'm also aware the investors were able to get 100% mortgages (well before owner-occupiers) on the strength of other investment properties without ever having to stump up a deposit and then those investors were competing with homeowners who had to come up with a deposit.

Obviously I can't speak for every landlord/tenant arrangement but, for example (to counter yours), the house next door to me has had different tenants in each of the last 4 years. Each change is as a result of the landlord increasing the rent to the point where the existing tenants can't afford it.

Anyway we're going miles off topic at this stage and this ground has been covered so often there's no grass left on it! We'll have to agree to disagree.

What is the point of the investors going after McNamara if he owes more than he is worth? Wouldn't it be better to let him try and trade his way out of the mess.

How does the debt order go? If you have 20 building companies and 10 hotels all in different companies and you've also given person guarantees what would be the order. Banks presumably first with their mortgages but then what? When he gave the personal guarantee to the Davy investors did they not check his worth, how did they do this? Did they know his indebtedness and that he'd also given personal guarantees for other business?

Do you know that Bacon's recommendations were implemented and had to be changed within 2 years because Bacon was wrong.

They were reversed alright but I'm not so sure they were wrong. The impact was detrimental to a lot of vested interests whilst also reducing the tax take from stamp duty. Given a bit of nerve, they may have proved to be effective.

I don't think the reversal of the recommendations was for reason of helping your regular Joe to get ontothe property ladder.

IMHO - I see no reason why anyone should feel sorry for McNamara. While the current development might hurt his pride, he'll never end up penniless and homeless. Anyway, he did it quite cleverly, with his company officially having nothing to do with his debts and then he'll go and declare personal bankrupcy.
He gambled high and these people can win or can lose - and if they lose, it's going to be a lot. That said, it will be the taxpayers paying most of his losses, not him. I'm certain he made sure him and his family will not suffer.

Btw - isn't there already enough threads about property developers and the Celtic Tiger boom based on consume and property?

There's a distinction between those who paid (what we now know was) over the odds for their principal residence and those who paid over the odds for discretionary items such as holiday homes, second cars,quote]

They're all purchases and all have to be paid for. Whether it's a principal residence or not, the cost, value and repayment terms should have been more thoroughly analysed by the purchasers. Given that the primary residence is such a big purchase whereby the buyer does mortgage their future you'd think a LOT more consideration would have been taken

Thanks for all your replies.. This thread has gone into a bit of a rant again about property developers the government and the banks, which wasnt the attention.

I am glad that we have some people amidst us that can see the wood from the trees..

I know that no bank, developer or government put a gun to my head and told me to buy my house in 2005. I did that on my own free will and am suffering the consequences.

For the record I would say that McInerneys and McNamaras are two of the better builders in the country, in terms of quality and design.

I would hate to get to my 60th birthday, and have to resign from a company which was in my family after working hard and building up a business by taking risks and helping the economy grow, created employement and now to have to walk away without the real benefit of any of it.
I am sure that Bernard McNamara will not be on the breadline but he should have had a better future than that which is ahead of him. For me he looks a lot more than 60 and has aged significantly in the past months. I dont think that he purposely set out to be in the situation he is in now with any malice.. For that I feel sorry for him and his family... enough said.

Last edited:
Increased supply = reduced rent.

In a closed shop yes. But we were going through a phase of importing people to help build houses and then a portion of these houses were going towards housing these same people. We couldn't build houses fast enough at the height of the boom.

In a closed shop yes. But we were going through a phase of importing people to help build houses and then a portion of these houses were going towards housing these same people. We couldn't build houses fast enough at the height of the boom.

Exactly the reason not to buy I would have thought

For the record I would say that McInerneys and McNamaras are two of the better builders in the country, in terms of quality and design.

I used to live in an estate built by the McInerney and the reason why we did not buy the apartment and only continued renting it was the absolutely poor quality of the housing. No insulation, huge cracks in the walls, in the first apartment we lived in the uninsulated wiring was put so close to the water pipes that we were getting electric shocks when touching the water taps or in the shower. Both bathrooms were leaking. The second apartment which was built in the second phase had, again, both bathrooms leaking /the water was literally streaming down the wall when we were taking a shower/ and we were told by the tilers who did later repairs that the tiles were loosely glued to the wall with no additional insulation. The door in the ensuite shower was actually too big for the opening and they crammed it violently in. The first water pump was broken, i.e. no water pressure in the house when we moved in and the built-in dishwasher was connected so badly that it was constantly leaking water. They put in the second pump and then fixed the dishwasher with the result that the washing machine stopped working because they messed it up. The walls were damp no matter what we did.
If this is the better quality, I shudder at the thought on how the "worse quality" developers built their apartments.

I used to live in an estate built by the McInerney and the reason why we did not buy the apartment and only continued renting it was the absolutely poor quality of the housing. No insulation, huge cracks in the walls, in the first apartment we lived in the uninsulated wiring was put so close to the water pipes that we were getting electric shocks when touching the water taps or in the shower. Both bathrooms were leaking. The second apartment which was built in the second phase had, again, both bathrooms leaking /the water was literally streaming down the wall when we were taking a shower/ and we were told by the tilers who did later repairs that the tiles were loosely glued to the wall with no additional insulation. The door in the ensuite shower was actually too big for the opening and they crammed it violently in. The first water pump was broken, i.e. no water pressure in the house when we moved in and the built-in dishwasher was connected so badly that it was constantly leaking water. They put in the second pump and then fixed the dishwasher with the result that the washing machine stopped working because they messed it up. The walls were damp no matter what we did.
If this is the better quality, I shudder at the thought on how the "worse quality" developers built their apartments.

there is the possibility that this was an exceptional case, but if anything it highlights the need for a proper snag list.

I am sure I am going to lambasted for writing this.

I have just been reading todays papers about Bernard McNamara and saw him on the news last night also. I am finding it difficult not to feel a bit sorry for him (as a person).

I know this is probably mad (to feel sorry for him) but after working for years (most likely very hard) in a family business he now has nothing and is going to loose everything, effectively because he made miscalculated deals and because the banks allowed him to borrow extortionate amounts of money which he used personal guarantees for.
I just feel a little sorry for him and his family...
Anyone else feel any sympathy?

Businessmen are tough cookies and Bernard McNamara is no exception yet you could see he was visibly upset and determined to act to limit the fallout to himself.

He has a low-key in demeanour and I admired the fact that kept his father's name on the company out of respect and planned to hand it on to people who had supported him in a timely manner.

In the 1990's I worked with Bernard McNamara on two projects with another architectural firm - he was tough, fair, courteous and a quick study.
When problems arose on a project that needed his input he was in the meetings helping to sort them out, not off playing golf somewhere.

His was one of the few firms I know of that retained its own in-house architect to help maintain standards of detailing and workmanship and achieve compliance with the building regulations which the industry was still coming to grips with.

He was a can-do kind of guy, not a whinger, which is more than can be said of some of those who've criticised him here.
Although we didn't always see eye to eye, he earned my respect and I have a huge amount of sympathy for the man.
I hope he gets through this and goes on to enjoy his well-deserved retirement.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

I feel vaguely sorry for him in the way that I feel sorry for "Joe Smith & Sons, Plumbers since 1874 (well until last year when they went bust)". A family business, tradition and name is gone - this is undoubtedly bad.

However, if Joe Smith said to his punters "Arragh, sure don't worry about the payment end, I'll personally guarantee the money to you, sure what can go wrong ? You stand to make millions from this new plumbing yoke, it's all the rage and you can sell it on to 'norms' for a multiple of what I'm selling it to you for." I think this may colour my view of the loss of the family reputation.

Just like the home buyers who weren't forced to buy at inflated prices, he wasn't forced to give this personal guarantee. Since when was he the Bank of Bernard ?

At the end of the day, the whole money thing is a bit, erm, notional. He owes €60m. Give or take. On this deal. There could well be more. He doesn't have €60m, so he's not going to be able to pay it back. The people he owed it to - did they actually have €60m sitting in their back pocket looking for a perfectly good factory to buy and knock down ? No. Unless I'm mistaken they didn't have the readies sitting there. They were on a promise from the banks that they would get €60m if they could get this deal. They got the deal. They got the money. The banks went BOOOOOOOOOOOM and now you, me and the rest of the poor sods are the ones paying off that €60m bit by bit by bit.

So, no, not really, I don't feel unduly sorry for him or the people with the €60m on a promise.

z

there is the possibility that this was an exceptional case, but if anything it highlights the need for a proper snag list.
And the need for effective enforcement of building standards by building control officers. I hear that one of the upsides of the construction downturn is that building control officers now have time to do their jobs properly and revisit sites to ensure that required changes are made.

Back