Bereavement leave

Bigman

Hi I am enquiring what the normal bereavement leave is for a father in law. I work in the private sector for a large company. Thank you

I have never worked for a company that ever rushed me to get back after any bereavement. Talk to your manager rather than just relying on what you are entitled to.

I don’t know what normal is, I also work in the private sector for a large company.
Last year I asked for 2 days for a mother in law bereavement and this was granted and paid.
Bereavement leave is not mentioned in my contract.
In my job anyway it seems each case is assessed on its merits.
I would not have been rushed back, but any additional days would have been unpaid or taken as holiday days.

It is 5 days in the public service.

Really - five days for a parent-in-law? Different sectors must have different rules in place. We didn't have such a generous allowance - although I can't remember exactly what it was (worrying symptom:eek:).

Really - five days for a parent-in-law? Different sectors must have different rules in place. We didn't have such a generous allowance - although I can't remember exactly what it was (worrying symptom:eek:).

I'm not sure re the 5 days - certainly not everywhere!
I work in the public service and we get a max of up to three days in cases for immediate family members including spouse, children, sibling, parent - I think 3 days for a spouse or a child is not all that sufficient for most people tbh - they would need more time, so I don't think it is overly generous in that respect.

I'm not sure re the 5 days - certainly not everywhere!
I work in the public service and we get a max of up to three days in cases for immediate family members including spouse, children, sibling, parent - I think 3 days for a spouse or a child is not all that sufficient for most people tbh - they would need more time, so I don't think it is overly generous in that respect.

That is more or less how I remember it. However, there was flexibility in application. Individual circumstances differ.

There was a change to bereavement leave in the civil service a few years ago (I don't know if it applies across the public service).
Up to 20 days can be granted for a spouse or child, 5 days for a close relative including parents or in-laws.

Some employers are more reasonable than others. If you are concerned that they won't facilitate you, check your contract. Most private companies will not give anywhere near the public service provisions. There is no statutory entitlement at all, many companies only give what they are legally obliged to, and many companies will restrict leave to immediate relatives (parents, children, spouse/partner, siblings). Entitlement tends to depend on the size of the company and paygrade of the employee.

Most unfortunate for any employer to not act appropriately in such circumstances. They Ed up losing their staff respect , morale and goodwill.
On the other side , aware of staff that take additional leave after such episodes for ‘sick leave ‘.

Hi I am enquiring what the normal bereavement leave is for a father in law. I work in the private sector for a large company. Thank you

First of all, I am sorry for your loss. If you are the father in law and still working, the deceased must have been fairly young.

Most companies will have a bereavement policy, which will differ from company to company. They may also be flexible on this. You need to talk to your manager/ HR manager about it. It is unusual for companies not to take a sympathetic view on these situations.

Back