Motor Benefit of named driver car insurance for young drivers

bridgeman

My son and daughter both passed their driving tests over the past couple of years and are named drivers on my Aviva car insurance policy. However, both are now away at college coming home relatively infrequently. Having them as named drivers on my car insurance policy has increased the cost of my car insurance (probably more than double) so I was thinking of taking them off the policy, although this might be a bit of a pain whenever they are home as they would no longer be insured to drive my car.

My question, however, relates to the benefit of having them as named drivers on my policy. Aviva have told me that, if they were to get their own car in future, they would not get any benefit from having been a named driver on my policy. However, having looked at some other insurers websites, it looks like those insurers would give them some discount for having been a named driver for a number of years (even if the named-driver experience has not been with that company). Just wondering what people's experience of this has been. Do young drivers starting out with their first car get much of a discount for named-driver experience? What level of discount would this typically be and which companies are best for this.

I'm continuing to stay with Aviva for now as I've one more son to get past the driving test shortly and the Aviva driving school is a good option for this. But, I might remove the other two from the policy for now and add them back when it comes to summer holidays which is probably when they would need the car most often. Not sure how much that will really save me...

In my experience they do get credit for being a named driver - however if there is a break in cover only the latest time is taken into consideration I had two drivers on my policy and they both got a reduction when they got their own cars.

Don't forget your company might charge admin fees for stopping and starting cover. Probably not as much as the cover costs but worth considering.

Keep them on as named drivers.

They will thank you later when this unbroken driving history will get them cheaper insurance of their own when the time comes.

I was a named driver on my dad's policy. When I was getting mine own policy allianz converted my named driving experience into no claims bonus at ratio of 2 to 1.

My son and daughter both passed their driving tests over the past couple of years and are named drivers on my Aviva car insurance policy. However, both are now away at college coming home relatively infrequently. Having them as named drivers on my car insurance policy has increased the cost of my car insurance (probably more than double) so I was thinking of taking them off the policy, although this might be a bit of a pain whenever they are home as they would no longer be insured to drive my car.

My question, however, relates to the benefit of having them as named drivers on my policy. Aviva have told me that, if they were to get their own car in future, they would not get any benefit from having been a named driver on my policy. However, having looked at some other insurers websites, it looks like those insurers would give them some discount for having been a named driver for a number of years (even if the named-driver experience has not been with that company). Just wondering what people's experience of this has been. Do young drivers starting out with their first car get much of a discount for named-driver experience? What level of discount would this typically be and which companies are best for this.

I'm continuing to stay with Aviva for now as I've one more son to get past the driving test shortly and the Aviva driving school is a good option for this. But, I might remove the other two from the policy for now and add them back when it comes to summer holidays which is probably when they would need the car most often. Not sure how much that will really save me...

Call a few insurance companies now giving them the named driver experience and see how much a new quote is.
Then call them again and give them no experience whatsoever and see what the difference is.

If the cost to keep the insured has doubled your premium, and is more then the reduction is the new quote then its not worth keeping.
But this totally depends on whether you need them insured to drive your car when home and whether you think they are close enough to buying their own car in the near future.

Back