Beneficiary issue

Another update:

Reached an important step today! The probate application has been filed and funeral expenses have been paid!

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for their advise. You've saved me weeks of worry and stress!

I think the Probate application can be progressed in circumstances where the beneficaries refuse to give their PPS numbers. What a thankless job being an executor or administrator is. In my case I'm very worried an administrator will overcharge for his services as he has form for this overcharging thousands. The Executor or Administrator is only entitled to ' out of pocket expenses' unless charging clause in the will.

Another update:

Reached an important step today! The probate application has been filed and funeral expenses have been paid!

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for their advise. You've saved me weeks of worry and stress!
Well done. I have been executor on two occasions and it can be an onerous task. Both had a number of sibling beneficiaries, some old and living in the U.K. The first was a real learning experience and showed to me how grasping some people are. It took a lot of time, travel and expense. However I had received very good advice as regards claiming for my time and effort so I left people in no doubt that I would need to be recompensed for it. The expenses werent the problem. It was the disagreements caused by a few graspers who wanted to ignore the wishes of the deceased as clearly expressed in the Will. They wanted the estate distributed on the "Its what she would have wanted" principle. Ignoring the fact that the Will showed exactly what she wanted. By the time the second Will had to be sorted I knew what needed to be obtained such as PPS numbers, Marriage Certs etc so kept any contact and discussion to an absolute minimum.
I found U.K. solicitors a lot more cooperative and straightforward to deal with. They would not entertain contact from anyone except the Executor.

This is the Grey area I was needing clarification on. My solicitor has being vague about this in correspondence. I have been trying everything to get these 2 people to respond so I can proceed and start taking proper care of the estate.

He also failed to inform me that I could access funds from her bank account to pay for expenses.
Have you been informed in writing of the solicitor costs?

Hi just read the thread and hope you don't mind me asking question. I am executor also of my Grandfathers will - there are 4 beneficiaries (2 abroad) and I have all PPS numbers. In completing SA2 on my account and they request value of the house. Can I estimate here - it was valued 3 years ago for fair deal scheme I rang auctioneer he gave me ballpark but of course it all depends on demand etc. Is an estimate ok in this document?
Is there any reason why I can't do apply for probate myself? It is very simple estate just house and a bank account.
Thanks

Is an estimate ok in this document?
Is there any reason why I can't do apply for probate myself?
Your first question is likely the reason I would answer "yes, there is a reason" to the second question.

DIY probate is doable; but you need to do your research and fully understand what you are doing.

There's a thread on DIY probate on this board, start there.

Hi just read the thread and hope you don't mind me asking question. I am executor also of my Grandfathers will - there are 4 beneficiaries (2 abroad) and I have all PPS numbers. In completing SA2 on my account and they request value of the house. Can I estimate here - it was valued 3 years ago for fair deal scheme I rang auctioneer he gave me ballpark but of course it all depends on demand etc. Is an estimate ok in this document?
Is there any reason why I can't do apply for probate myself? It is very simple estate just house and a bank account.
Thanks
It's the value of the property at the date of death, not the value of the property for the purposes of the fair deal scheme. Ask the auctioneer for a formal valuation of the property on the date of death of the deceased for the purposes of the SA2 form. He/she'll probably give it to you for free if you indicate you'll give him/her the job of selling the house.

Revenue have a guide on how to complete the SA2 form. If you can do this, and it's a simple estate, there is no reason why you should not be able to do probate yourself.

Back