BBC Programme "The Day the Immigrants Left" 24.2.2010

Re: BBC Programme on Immigrants last night

That is true.Immigrants do work very hard and i have great respect from them. But if these same immigrants had the option on going on the dole, I am sure they probably would if the sums added up.A lot of these same hard working immigrants are now on the dole in Ireland having lost their job in the downturn and having the required stamps etc. OF course they could have moved on to work hard in some other country if they chose.This is why I feel it is unfair to compare unemployed Irish people on the dole with newly arrived immigrants who can`t get the dole and need to work hard if they want to make money.This is especially so if the criticisms of our unemployed comes from people in secure employment , sometimes on quite high salaries , who themselves scream blue murder if any attempt is made to reduce their pay levels.

I find some peoples attitudes to immigrants are actually racist towards Irish people. It is not true that the Irish are lazy and wont take the lowly jobs but that the immigrants are ALL hardworking individuals who are wiling to take any job.

There are lazy Irish people but I have certainly encountered lazy immigrants too.

It depends on your qualifications and where you are starting from - three of the people asked to work in the restaurant had bar / catering experience.

Having worked in accountancy practices - would bar / hotel work show a work ethic or career going downhill?

Having worked in accountancy practices - would bar / hotel work show a work ethic or career going downhill?

I think any employer looking at CVs in relation to the years 2009/2010 would more likely regard any applicant as having determination/a good work ethic in the face of redundancy, rather than their career going downhill. Having a big gap with no employment would be worse IMO.

If I was interviewing you then you'd get a big gold star in your homework notebook!!!

Saw the programme. A lot of the local workers had a lethargic attitude to work. There was a strong undercurrent of "why should I bother working hard" from many.

Back