bars close at 2.30 a.m.?

Why should that be a cost of doing business? If a retailer takes (and can prove that they take) all reasonable measures to prevent the sale of alcohol to minors (e.g. strict ID policy, proper staff training etc.) ....

These measures all cost money. Proving them costs money as well. As does paying fines etc when staff make mistakes - as they inevitably do.

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The strategy underpinning the legislation is one which tackles the increased visibility and availability of alcohol through retail outlets with off-licences, while tightening the conditions under which premises with on-licences qualify for special exemption orders permitting them to remain open beyond normal licensing hours. The Act strengthens public order provisions and provides for improved enforcement and increased penalties.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The main provisions of the Act are as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Public order[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The Garda Síochána will be permitted to seize any bottle or container which is in possession of a person who appears to be under the age of 18 and which the member suspects, with reasonable cause, contains alcohol which is being consumed, or intended to be consumed, by a person under 18 years in a place other than a private residence.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The Garda Síochána will be permitted to seize bottles or containers containing alcohol where there is a reasonable apprehension of public disorder or damage to property and require a person to leave the place concerned in a peaceable and orderly manner. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Fixed penalty charges will be introduced for the offences of intoxication in a public place and disorderly conduction in a public place.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Sale of alcohol[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Applicants for a wine-retailer’s off-licence will in future be required to produce a District Court Certificate in order to obtain the licence. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The grounds on which objection may be made to the grant of District Court Certificates for spirit, beer and wine off-licences are extended to include (1) the suitability of licensed premises for the needs of local residents, and (2) the adequacy of the existing number of licensed premises in the neighbourhood. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Off-sales of alcohol will be permitted only between the hours of 10.30 a.m. and 10.00 pm on weekdays and 12.30 pm to 10.00 pm on Sundays (this applies equally to premises with on-licences as off-licences).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]In mixed trading premises (supermarkets, convenience stores and petrol stations) alcohol products must be displayed and sold in a specified area which is structurally separated from the rest of the premises. Where such separation is not technically feasible, alcohol products other than wine must be displayed and sold from a part of the premises where public access is prohibited, e.g. from behind a counter. The mixed trading sector has offered to implement a strict Code of Practice as an alternative to implementation of these statutory provisions. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Test purchasing of alcohol by persons under the age of 18 years will be introduced subject to necessary safeguards. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Restrictions on the advertising and supply of alcohol products at reduced prices or free of charge will be introduced by means of regulations; reduced price includes the use of bonus points or loyalty cards for the purchase of alcohol products.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Extended trading hours[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Extended opening hours (special exemption orders) for late bars and nightclubs will be subject to stricter conditions, e.g. compliance with fire safety standards and licensing standards for private security personnel. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Extended opening hours for events to which the public are admitted will be conditional on the premise having an adequate, and fully operational, CCTV system.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Opening hours for premises with theatre licences will be brought into line with the rules and time limit provisions applicable to premises with on-licences.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Sanctions, penalties and enforcement[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Minimum closure periods of 2 days will in future apply in cases of conviction for certain offences, e.g. sales of alcohol to under 18s; permitting drunkenness or disorderly conduct. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Fines for certain licensing and public order offences are also being increased.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Future legislation[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]The Government Legislation Programme provides for publication of a comprehensive Sale of Alcohol Bill later this year. This larger Bill will modernise and streamline all the laws relating to the sale and consumption of alcohol by repealing the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2004, as well as the Registration of Clubs Acts 1904 to 2004, and replacing them with updated and streamlined provisions. [/FONT]

I'm just back from a week in Vilnius where the pubs and clubs stay open until 6. There was no trouble on the streets, no gangs of people around, and because nobody is rushing their drink, people weren't all that drunk either.

Having lived in Germany, America and Australia I can really see the case for late hours. It would be mahem here for 6 months or so as people went mad with the idea that everything is open late. Then it would settle into a far better situation than we have now.

When late hours first came in I used to be out in Tullamore until 3.30am. It was the Gardai who put an end to this, telling clubs they would object to their licenses unless they closed at 2. I would say the job of the Gardai would be much easier and safer if we enjoyed standard European laws on opening hours.

We have always been a very conservative country however, and this is unlikely to change.

I'm just back from a week in Vilnius where the pubs and clubs stay open until 6. There was no trouble on the streets, no gangs of people around, and because nobody is rushing their drink, people weren't all that drunk either.
A different attitude to alcohol.
Here in Ireland, it is the forbidden fruit (or grain).

When I was on holiday in Croatia, wine was freely available but to the locals it was just like any other drink. Young people might have a glass (maybe watered down), but they certainly weren't getting paralytic and starting fights etc.

The Irish government is making the problem worse.

Also, public drunkeness is dealt with very severely in Lithuania.

If you appear to be very drunk in public you can be literally removed from the streets and locked up until you 'detoxify'

Getting the rounds in is part of our pub culture. It is also part of the culture in the UK. I do not think that continental european norms are all that useful as a predictor of how we would behave with longer\unrestricted opening hours. I think the UK gives a far better comparator.

I would love to think of us as being similar to our beer-sipping, late-night-chatting, cosmopolitan peers in their litter-free, safe urban centres. But facts, as Ronald Reagan famously acknowledged, are inconvenient things. We have loads of pint-swilling, round-buying, curried-chip and snackbox guzzlers, who will get smashed in 2-3 hours of drinking no matter what.

I have not looked into it in any detail, but I think there is an emerging consensus in the UK that longer opening hours for night clubs have been something less than an unqualified success. I think UK drunks are maybe a shade more aggressive (on average) than us, but we should not expect to be immune from the problem behaviours exhibited in the UK.

I think it's craziness. Now all the clubbers are being dumped out on the street around the same time which I think will lead to more late night aggression on the streets, not to mention the hassle of getting a taxi when so many people will be looking for one at the same time.

It seems also that pubs can't sell alcohol to take out after 10pm. I've been at many an impromptu party where a bunch of us in the pub decided to go back to someone's house so we bought a few bottles of wine or cans of beer or whatever. That's not an option anymore unless it's decided before 10pm.

Try going to Scotland. I stayed in a hotel that would not serve between 2-4 on Sundays. And yes, they wouldn't serve after 10pm, even residents

It's a Presbyterian tradition from what I remember, they were very strict on it anyway even if there was no law for it

That carry-on is long gone in Scotland, with the exception of a few of the Outer Isles - Presbyterian strongholds indeed. POssibly a small pocket of resistance elsewhere, but I can't think of anywhere.

Edit - just deleted a fair old rant there!-

In general, on the Scottish mainland, you'll have no bother getting a drink on a Sunday afternoon.

A different attitude to alcohol.
Here in Ireland, it is the forbidden fruit (or grain).

Its worth noting that the Baltic States communities in this country seem to have their fair share of problems with alcohol, as well. I honestly think that our "alcohol problem" in this country is replicated in Europe to a far greater extent than some people (chiefly the "down with this sort of thing" brigade) like to admit.

The Irish government is making the problem worse.

Nail on the head again.

People who say we have a unique take on drink in Ireland are wrong IMO. Look to the UK where they brought in 24 hour licenses, they waited for mayhem to follow and it didn't. Infact I think over 50% of business looking for the license were super markets. I lived in Brussels and we wouldn't go out until after midnight or we would be finishing eating at a resturant late. And as for druken teenagers, they can be found the world over, don't think we are the only country with that problem.

It is stupid closing off licences, shortening bar opening times etc and not dealing with the problem. Ireland attitude to drink. I am always amazed when the government talk of stopping under age drinking that they never offer teenagers an alternative. In other European countries, teenagers can meet up at coffee shops etc but these don't exist here after six.
Given that this is not a communist or collectivist state (like China), where direct social engineering went out of fashion with Cromwell, and citizens have the right to free movement within our borders how do you propose the government "offer teenagers an alternative"? If the demand were there for coffee shops for teenagers then there would be coffee shops for teenagers.

I see no real problem with the laws. I would also like to see tobacco restricted to dedicated tobacconists. As long as adults have equal and reasonably good access to alcohol what’s the big deal?

Having lived in Germany, America and Australia I can really see the case for late hours. It would be mahem here for 6 months or so as people went mad with the idea that everything is open late. Then it would settle into a far better situation than we have now.

I would agree with this. If pub hours were extended out to something absurd like 7am, then people would have to admit defeat, stop viewing the closing time as some sort of government mandated target and just go home when they felt like it.

It might provide greater opportunity for those working odd hours and shifts to maintain a social life as well!

People who say we have a unique take on drink in Ireland are wrong IMO. Look to the UK where they brought in 24 hour licenses, they waited for mayhem to follow and it didn't. Infact I think over 50% of business looking for the license were super markets. I lived in Brussels and we wouldn't go out until after midnight or we would be finishing eating at a resturant late. And as for druken teenagers, they can be found the world over, don't think we are the only country with that problem.

But the thing is, there isn't 24hr drinking in the UK. Well not from what I've seen anyway.

As I posted before, in London recently (yes thats London, one of the most populated and visited capitals in the world) I couldn't find a pub open on a Sat night after 11pm. And this was in the very centre where they was tens of thousands of people milling around. Sunday was 10:30pm.

The English only think they are big drinkers.

When late hours first came in I used to be out in Tullamore until 3.30am. It was the Gardai who put an end to this, telling clubs they would object to their licenses unless they closed at 2. I would say the job of the Gardai would be much easier and safer if we enjoyed standard European laws on opening hours.

We have always been a very conservative country however, and this is unlikely to change.

Agree with this.

Been a frequent visitor to Madrid/Barcelona and they tend to ask you to leave the pubs at 5am-6am. And I have never seen any trouble on the streets. Explain that.

Its an attitude thing with the Irish and English. On the continent you tend not to get *******s who want to start fights with you just for looking at them. Or people who slap strangers randomly for a bit of craic.

But the thing is, there isn't 24hr drinking in the UK. Well not from what I've seen anyway.

The English only think they are big drinkers.

You were looking in the wrong places, there are a few around, although not many. The Swan tavern is one I know of.

I think London is a great city for all night fun, There are many clubs that stay open until the following afternoon, where drink is served all night. I really loved living there.

You were looking in the wrong places, there are a few around, although not many. The Swan tavern is one I know of.

I think London is a great city for all night fun, There are many clubs that stay open until the following afternoon, where drink is served all night. I really loved living there.

Clubs maybe, but I walked around for over an hour on a Sat night in the centre of London and could not find 1 single BAR open after 11pm. Woudl you agree with this?

I was over with my bro' and didn't want to sit in a club where we couldn't hear each other speak.

Clubs maybe, but I walked around for over an hour on a Sat night in the centre of London and could not find 1 single BAR open after 11pm. Woudl you agree with this?

I was over with my bro' and didn't want to sit in a club where we couldn't hear each other speak.

I agree, unless you know where to go, they are hard to find.

The clubs aren't all noise. All the clubs have chill out areas where you can sip away and check out the talent, and there is plenty of that there.:)

Back