Barcelona Tips!

CMK

We are going to Barcelona in the morning for 5 nights and i cannot wait!

The fact that everyone keeps telling me tho' about watching my bag and it being "the place to get mugged" etc etc has kinda diminished my excitement. Hearing all this has made me slightly worried!

Has anyone had any bad experiences out there and if so - any tips for us.

Thanks in advance

Hi there CMK,
We were in Barcelona a few years ago, my one bit of advice is Las Ramblas changes atmosphere at night, it is a bustling place during the day (and very safe) however can get a wee bit seedy (and VERY expensive for alcohol )at night. But I never felt threatned, I loved the city, and had a great time pottering about. There are some nice restaraunts by the harbour.

I've heard it's a hotspot for pickpockets and bag snatchers alright, but I'm sure if you exercise some sort of caution and don't carry large quantities of cash with you, then you don't have any more to fear than at home. Maybe carry a cheap wallet / handbag with only the essentials in it, so if it is stolen then you won't have lost much.

Alternatively dress up as a Spaniard or carry a stun gun!

We went to Barcelona about three years ago - had a ball. There's marvellous architecture (don't miss the Gaudi park), great atmosphere, good food and drink.

We'd heard the "bound to get pick-pocketed" stories, but had no trouble. We did feel we were being followed on the Ramblas one evening, but we pay reasonable attention to our surroundings so they gave us up as a bad job. Usual rules apply, only more so - don't put your camera down on a timer to take your photo together and expect it to stay there, or leave your bag on a table while you wander away to look at lamp-posts, or take large wads of money out to pay for your coffee... but we saw all of these things done, and the nitwits all got lucky [possibly because we were watching, in one case].

I had a lucky escape on the Ramblas a couple of years ago, was using an ATM when a smooth operator appeared from nowhere, pretended to be helping me read the Spanish instructions on the screen (when they were in English!), and before I knew it he had my card half hidden in his hand. I grabbed it from him and he calmly walked away.

That's as likely to happen me at any ATM in Dublin, but I'd be wary enough, I've heard enough tales of woe from people who've visited Barcelona to realise this carry-on is common enough.

A tip: I'd avoid the Ramblas, horrible dive of a street, full of tacky shops and crappy stalls and usually heaving with tourists. Down by the harbour area is beautiful, great restaurants, cafes, etc.

Have a great time, it's a wonderful city. (Make sure you take a tour of the Nou Camp!).

We were in Barcelona for a weekend and had no bother at all, don't let all the negatives ruin your break, as with travelling anywhere keep your wits about you and you should be grand.

Down by the port is nice but it is pricey......€9 for a beer when we were there.

Was in Barcelona last month and loved it! Do be careful of your stuff. When we went out at night we just brought cash in our pockets and during the day paid closer attention to my bag than I usually would at home.

If you are heading to the Ramblas, avoid all the touristy bars! Go into the spanish tapas bar - we got shrimp, garlic prawns, lemon sorbet for 2 and a bottle of Rose for 20euro! Wine is really cheap in the restaurants, well the Spanish wines and some are really good.

Ate in a fab restaurant at the Port Olympic called La Fonda - if you are a seafood lover, you will really enjoy it.

If you are planning to use the metro a lot, buy the tickets in groups of 10 - works out a lot cheaper than buying single tickets all the time. Also if you are doing the tour bus, buy the 2 day ticket and if you arrive at Plaza Catalunya to see the queue is crazy to get on the tour bus, get the metro to a not so popular stop and jump on it there.

Have a ball!

Fab city, a large group of us went this time last year for St Patricks weekend, had a ball - no problems to report. Look out for the "4 cats restaurant" (we went there 2 nights in a row it was so good) its off Las Ramblas up a side street. The hop-on hop-off bus tours are a great way to see the city. Really enjoyed Las Ramblas - such a contrast from daytime to night time - well worth the visit for a stroll and to admire the street artists.

Weather was lovely but got cool in the evening. That was our second time to visit Barcelona and will visit some time again.

(Our only misfortune with the weekend was that our house was broken into while we were away)

A group of us spent 5 days in barcelona last march. Had a great time in genera, weather was wonderful and we couldnt believe that we were sitting outside in shirtsleeves at 1am the night we arrived.

However - yes be careful re money/credit cards etc. one of our party had their card stolen at the atm in the same MO as previous poster. Also were approached by quite a lot of hookers/druggies etc on las ramblas at night.

Theres a rather large plaza off las ramblas 2/3 down on the left as you come down from placa catalunya towards the port (cant remember the name) which is a beautiful square and good atmosphere at night. Also good tapas bar in placa nova - great selection and you pay by the no. of cocktail sticks. Also recommend you make a point of going to the main food market off las ramblas called La Boqueria.

You should definitely do the tourist buses - its the easiest way to get round all the sites. We also spent an afternoon in sitges just to get out of the city for a change. overall, beautiful city, lots of energy etc and usual problems of big city life.

As a rough guide,if you are standing at the top of Ramblas looking down towards the port all of the streets on the left are generally safer at night than all of those on the right...but make sure to explore the ones on the right too at some stage. Its common sense again really regarding money and credit cards. Don't in any way let the fear ruin your holiday - its a fantastic place

Agree with most points posted so far. Was there last week for 4 days. Keep away from Rampas at night - and dont look like a tourist! Again agree avoid the Baric Gothic area to the right of Rampas as you walk towards the port.
Metro is very easy to follow and cheap and we used it a lot - used the city tour bus last time and its good also.

Things to try:
Coffee outside Zurich cafe on Plaza Catalonya.
Have a drink at night in cafe Opera on the Rampas, its well run and great gas.
Eat in Les 15 Nuits, on PlazA Rael, and have adrink in any of the outside bars there - watch your wallet and handbag.
Eat in Senor Parellada in Avenue Argentin off Plaza Rael- good for fish and cheap food and wine and good service.
Visit Plaza Espana - brillant at night with the light on.
etc etc..
enjoy!

Just do what you would do elsewhere. One thing though to bear in mind is that you will notice that the Spanish carry their bags crossways ie strap over one shoulder, across your front and the bag on the other side of your waist so its not as easy to cut the strap.

Try not to walk down the narrower roads at night time - if you do end up on one by mistake try not to speak English too loudly. The thieves don't exactly hide when they're following in the darker streets when they spot a bag, their ploy is to push or shove you to the ground and snatch the bag. So carry the bag inside your jacket if you have to carry one. And keep cameras/guidebooks out of sight.

These are tips I picked up from Spanish living there so hope they help. Its a fab. city and you will have a great time.

Buy a tourist bus 2 day pass which costs €22 (€18 for one day). This is a fantastic way to get around all the major sights in the city; you can hop on and off as much as you like.

The metro is great for geting around also; €1.25 each journey which is dirt cheap.

If you are a footie fan, the Nou Camp can not be missed; it is a spectacular stadium; get tickets for a match if there is one on when you are there. I would really recommend it.

The area to the right off La Ramblas is known as La Raval, also known as Barrio Cine, or Chinatown.

This is the dodgy area at night.

However, the petty criminals are not typically violent, so you should be ok if you are sensible and cautious.

There's pickpockets on the Ramblas, but worse, there's a million other tourists and nothing much of merit to hang about for (the food market excepted).

The Born area is well worth investigating - very vibrant at night and good for tapas and small bars. Also lots of trendy small boutiques etc. The courtyard cafe in the textile museum is a great spot for a snack and coffee during the daytime.

Las Ramblas, good laugh during the day.

Full of drugs, prostitutes, and pick-pockets at night.

Oh, and truncheon beating cops too.

But isnt that some folks' idea of fun?

My advice: stay half sober if you can.

BM

Right of the Ramblas as you face the sea is very dangerous. My wife had an attempted hand bag snatch during the middle of the day.We were lucky as I noticed them just as they were about to make their move. We ran into a restaurant to escape and they (about six 18 year olds) waited outside for about 10 minutes annoyed we had got away. Later that evening we saw the same gang pulling a jacket off a man as he came out of his hotel with the jacket over his shoulder. He was pulled to the ground and they got away with the jacket. I thought Barcelona was great otherwise and I would just avoid the Ramblas area. Also dont carry a handbag.

I always when I go abroad put 90% of my money in my sock or shoe if I am not wearing socks, just a tip

I always when I go abroad put 90% of my money in my sock or shoe if I am not wearing socks, just a tip

How does that work if you stop by a shop or go to a restaurant?

Do you take off your shoes and socks and hand over the money?