Barcelona Reus or Barcelona Girona?

maebee

Does anybody know which is the nearest/more convenient/less hassle airport to get to from Barcelona docks? Thanks.

Neither ... Barcelona proper Airport (Aer Lingus and Iberia/Clickair) is much closer - just a few kilometres from the port ... Reus and Girona are both about 100km from Barcelona

There's a train that goes from Girona that's fairly regular. I think it's slightly closer than Reus. Reus is more convenient for Salou from my experience.

In terms of ease of access to Barcelona, I'd rank the airports as follows:
1) El Prat - Barcelona's main airport
2) Girona - Decent connections to BCN via bus and train
3) Reus - More oriented towards Salou/Tarragona/Valencia

Also, be careful trying to take the train from Girona if you land late at night as the last one leaves at 21:23. Since you have to take a bus from the airport to the train station first anyway I'd recommend just to take the bus that goes directly between Girona's airport to Barcelona city centre.

Barcelona's main airport (aer lingus) is a dream for access. Shuttle every 10 minutes to Playa Catalunya takes 20 minutes max for about 3/4 euro.

Thanks for the replies guys. We'll be coming off a cruise ship at 8 am and had booked a great deal with Clickair, €30 each all taxes included on a mid-day flight from the main Barcelona airport to Dublin. Too good to be true we thought. How right we were. The nice people at Clickair have now gone and changed the time of the flight from mid-day to 7 am, at which time we'll be still on the high seas. Trouble is Aer Lingus want €190 each to take us home that day (a Saturday). That's €380 as opposed to the €60 we paid to Clickair for the two of us. That's why I'm looking at returning from either Girona or Reus. Clickair have offered a full refund if we can get a more suitable flight or will change it to the following day and we stay an extra night in Barca. Have to say they were very apologetic about the change but it has left us with a right headache. We booked the flights with them in January and I've had 6 emails from them, each time a new change in flight times. Moral of the story. If anyone is booking with Clickair, Bí Ullamh !

They offer you a "full refund" because if you have booked return flights with them, i.e. click/Iberia they will not allow you to cancel one flight you must cancel all of them.

Clickair have offered a full refund if we can get a more suitable flight or will change it to the following day and we stay an extra night in Barca.

Assuming you don't have to be back in Ireland for any reason on the Saturday then I'd stay the extra night in Barcelona if I were you. Get a centrally located hotel drop your bags off and enjoy the wonderful city that it is ... then fly home Sunday morning on the Clickair flight - yes it's at 7am which isn't the most pleasant timing, but BCN airport is only 20mins taxi from the city at that hour and you don't need to be at the airport that early.

Alternatively The Ryanair flight from Reus goes at 1345 - you'd make if your ship docks at 0800 - but you wouldn't have much time to spare.

Their flight from Girona goes late in the evening which would be more leisurely yes .. but what are you going to do with your luggage all day in Barcelona ?

They offer you a "full refund" because if you have booked return flights with them, i.e. click/Iberia they will not allow you to cancel one flight you must cancel all of them.

They must have changed their policy or are making an exception in this case. Our 8 fellow travellers who cancelled the return flight with Clickair have all been refunded.

Thanks ED. We've decided to stay the extra night. I know we'll have to be leaving the hotel at the ungodly hour of 4.30 am. We'll just have to hit the bar a bit earlier on the Saturday evening !

Maebe

Did you book outward and return journey with Iberia?

Hi JS,
We booked outward and return with Clickair. €120, all taxes included, for 2 people. The others in our group weren't happy with the change to the return flight so they're now just doing the Dub-Barca with Clickair and returning with Aer Lingus on the Sat afternoon. Aer Lingus charged them €130 each for the Barca-Dub but they all got their refund form Clickair for their cancelled return journey.
Maebee

That's interesting, here's what e-bookers told me via e-mail

"Please be adviced that we can only provide you a FULL AIR FARE refund , but partial refund is not possible ,
Therefore if you want we can confirm the full booking ( outbound and inbound flights) for you or cancel the whole booking this is the airline policy and same is beyond our control." We're travelling end of May for one week. May I ask, when are you travelling.

It looks like they moved the goalposts for us JS ! They told us that they would do a partial refund because it was THEIR fault that the flight times changed. They changed the times from 12.10 to 12 to 10.30 to 9.30 to 8.30 and finally to 7 am. Have to say they were very apologetic and I'm almost sick of getting e-mails and calls from them asking us what we want to do and continually apologising. We're flying out Clickair on Friday June 15th and returning Sunday June 24th. Maybe you could bypass e-bookers and deal directly with Clickair. Have they changed your flight times too?

Yes, they changed both our outward and return flights times. We are prepared to fly out on the earlier time but that 7am return flight isn't suitable for us. It was the return flight I was cancelling. We had decided to just forget about the refund for the return journey and book an Aer Lingus flight for the afternoon instead. We booked with e-bookers and in addition to receiving their reservations confirmation we also received 2 confirmations from Flightsonline@travel.bag.co.uk!!! Did you telephone or e mail clickair???. I've just discovered that some friends also got a partial refund. I'll find out tomorrow who they booked through.

I e-mailed Clickair re the cancellation and refund query and they replied -

"In response to your mail, may we inform you that you are an Iberia costumer, and for any information regarding your reservation you need to contact that company.
If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our call center on 00 800 254 252 47."

I then check out the Iberia site and in the F.A.Q. section I read

"For a return trip, if I don't use the outward journey can I still use the return flight?
Bear in mind that, independently of the fare applied, if one of the segments is not used, remaining segments in the same ticket will be automatically cancelled."

I was under the impression that Clickair and Iberia were one and the same company, as clickair was founded by Iberia. I must be wrong!!! Whist the Iberia flight operations are using another carrier, i.e. Clickair they seem to be operating independently of each other, with separate terms and conditions.

I was under the impression that Clickair and Iberia were one and the same company, as clickair was founded by Iberia. I must be wrong!!!
As far as I know Iberia only holds a 20% stake in Clickair. They're definately separate companies but I'm sure they have many "agreements" in place between each other.

You're in the same boat as us so JS, except that we booked directly with Clickair. I phoned them on 00 800 25425247. Maybe you should give them a call on this number. As I said, they were very apologetic and helpful. We're sticking with the 7 am return (the following day) even though it means leaving our hotel at 4.30 am ! The Aer Lingus flight at mid-day would have been ideal but they want over €400 from us for that flight. No thanks.