Bank seeking judgement after 14 years debt default

Madiba Deno

My old Bank , via Solicitor's collection, is beginning to prepare judgement against a loan I got from them back in 2005. I've paid back as much as I could, but in the last five or six years, very little to nothing at all.... probably only 40 euros this year so far. Now the Solicitor's are preparing judgement against me if I don't pay back the full loan in 21 days. I sent them an email, saying it was impossible as I have been unemployed for such a long time. This has been going on now for 14 years. Can this debt be written off and can they seek judgement after 14 years?
Any help is appreciated.

vandriver

Frequent Poster
They can seek judgement up to 6 years after you last acknowledged the debt(by paying something for instance).
Have they actually gone to court,or is this just a scare letter?

demoivre

Frequent Poster
They can seek judgement up to 6 years after you last acknowledged the debt(by paying something for instance).
The bank can seek a judgement at any stage after 6 years and I have seen such a case recently. If 6 years has elapsed since the last acknowledgement of the debt, and proceedings are issued, then the defence is that the debt is statute barred. In the case I referred to a notice of discontinuance was only issued by the plaintiff once an appearance and full defence was lodged with the court by the defendant.

Any debtor ignoring the likes of a claim notice, on the basis that the debt is statute barred, will face summary judgement against them .