Bank of Ireland to close branches

It's terrible news.

I haver the same reaction to when I heard the news that Guinness was laying off all its coopers in the 1950s. It's crazy, they should have kept them on, even if they were not needed.

And the invention of the printing press was really no excuse in the 1400s for the monasteries to get rid of their scribes.

We should not allow technology to change the world. We should not allow the banks that we bailed out and part own to close branches just for the sake of being efficient and profitable.

Let's ban all electronic money so that people are forced back to using cash and cheques.

Brenda

The lack of empathy and borderline viciousness on both this thread and on some of the Ulster threads is both surprising and frankly somewhat disappointing. It also contrasts with people complaining on other threads about the lack of human contact when it comes to dealing with issues with their digital "bank" (and I'm using inverted comma's here deliberately as some of these apps are not banks).

I've no argument that banking is changing, that the use of cash and cheques is in decline and the need for most people to actually visit a bank branch is reducing, especially if you can still do your banking via An Post. What BoI are doing reflects that to a certain degree. However the move to digital banking might be great in 5 years time if the National Broadband plan delivers but these closure decisions are going to cause problems in the short to medium terms for a lot of people.

It's clear banks no longer want to sell us products, get to know their customers and find solutions and services to meet their needs. Instead they are assuming you will come to them digitally if you want something. That is a short term reaction that will come back to hurt both the bank and their customers in the years to come. I wonder in 10 years time will there be a "computerised lending" scandal because the IT brigade thought they knew best? What happens to BoI if they get a repeat if the Ulster IT issues of a few years ago?

God, some of the posts here are just mad. For a start, the majority of branches closing don't even offer counter services so the impact on employees is minimal. There will be no compulsory redundancies so I have no idea why people have to ridicule people's jobs.

Secondly, people seem to think bank branches have not changed since the 1700's and are just full of school leavers looking for a career in bank telling. You really need to get away from the internet for a while. The patronising and vicious posts that basically call people who might start a career in a bank branch as stupid for choosing such a career don't really belong on this site. Who is anyone here to judge anyone on how they start their career? I know someone started as a bank teller while getting his accounting degree and is now a Managing Director for one of the largest fund managers in the world. There are many bank executives who start out working in bank branches.

Banking is changing. There is an unstoppable move towards digital channels. Bank branches in small towns and villages are just not viable. But then neither are most post offices. Neither are most pubs. Neither are most shops. Neither are most garages. People will choose to work there if they are present though. Doesn't make them stupid.

As for saying anyone who started working in retail banking (which is a huge sector) recently 'deserve to be filleted'? Really nice to see what a consumer website has become. Lovely for people who work in that sector come on here looking for advice like the rest of us and read stuff like that.

It's clear banks no longer want to sell us products, get to know their customers and find solutions and services to meet their needs. Instead they are assuming you will come to them digitally if you want something. That is a short term reaction that will come back to hurt both the bank and their customers in the years to come. I wonder in 10 years time will there be a "computerised lending" scandal because the IT brigade thought they knew best? What happens to BoI if they get a repeat if the Ulster IT issues of a few years ago?

All lending is already "computerised", nothing is changing here.

Yes, it accounts for more than a third of their revenue.

This statement is false.

2019 Annual report, An Post revenue = 892m

Total post office retail revenue = 163m, and this includes everything processed through post offices

The 163m includes FX sales, mobile phones, vouchers, etc.

So the DSP contract is a fraction of the 163m.

God, some of the posts here are just mad. For a start, the majority of branches closing don't even offer counter services so the impact on employees is minimal. There will be no compulsory redundancies so I have no idea why people have to ridicule people's jobs.

Secondly, people seem to think bank branches have not changed since the 1700's and are just full of school leavers looking for a career in bank telling. You really need to get away from the internet for a while. The patronising and vicious posts that basically call people who might start a career in a bank branch as stupid for choosing such a career don't really belong on this site. Who is anyone here to judge anyone on how they start their career? I know someone started as a bank teller while getting his accounting degree and is now a Managing Director for one of the largest fund managers in the world. There are many bank executives who start out working in bank branches.

Banking is changing. There is an unstoppable move towards digital channels. Bank branches in small towns and villages are just not viable. But then neither are most post offices. Neither are most pubs. Neither are most shops. Neither are most garages. People will choose to work there if they are present though. Doesn't make them stupid.

As for saying anyone who started working in retail banking (which is a huge sector) recently 'deserve to be filleted'? Really nice to see what a consumer website has become. Lovely for people who work in that sector come on here looking for advice like the rest of us and read stuff like that.
I wholeheartedly endorse everything you've said. Problem with online exchange is a lot of people use it as a forum to vent without any empathy or consideration. I have seen a lot of dismissive commentary on this and other issues on AAM, strike me like some contributors like beating their chests and feeling great about themselves.

That’s life. If someone is starting off now and they’re pursuing a career as a bank teller, how can they deserve any sympathy?
I started my working life behind the till in a video store! Remember those?

I learned a huge amount about how to deal with people face to face at a very young age and I think it stands to me today.

As part of Bank of Ireland’s Annual Results published this morning we also announced a range of significant changes to our branch network and the provision of local banking services to our customers. We’re getting in touch with you today as an important stakeholder to us to let you know about these changes and how they respond to the acceleration in the uptake of digital banking, while also protecting access to banking for communities in every part of the country.

From September 2021, the number of Bank of Ireland branches will reduce by 88, the first significant change to the Bank’s physical footprint in almost a decade. The branches closing are predominately self-service locations which do not offer a counter service. The Bank will continue to have a strong nationwide presence of 169 branches.

This will be complemented by a new partnership with An Post – which will be launched in the coming months – and which will offer all Bank of Ireland customers banking services at more than 900 locations across Ireland. This will include over the counter cash and cheque lodgements, and cash withdrawals. Post offices offer longer weekday opening hours than traditional bank branches along with Saturday opening. The closing Bank of Ireland branches all have a post office within, on average, less than 500 metres.

While we have kept our branch network largely unchanged over the past decade, we’ve now reached a tipping point in customer preference between online and offline banking. Our mobile app is our most popular way to bank, with almost half a million customer logins every day and traffic up by a third in the past two years. Seven in ten personal customer product applications are made digitally, and we expect this to grow to over eight in ten by the end of this year. In contrast, in the two years before the pandemic, the number of people visiting branches had reduced by almost a quarter. This decline has accelerated over the past 12 months, with the number of visits to branches just over half of what they were in 2017. Footfall in the branches due to close has reduced by even more (60%).

To keep pace with rapidly changing customer banking preferences, the Bank is continually investing in new services. Last year the Bank launched a new mobile app with 50% more functionality, including Apple and Google Pay. Today, customers can open a current account online in six minutes. Additionally, customers can complete the entire mortgage process online. By the end of 2020, 45% of all first-time buyer applications were online.

We know news like this can cause concern for some customers. We’re not making these changes immediately – no branches will close in the next six months. That allows us to ensure the An Post partnership is up and running before any branches close, and also gives us time to write to all of our customers about every option available to them online, in a nearby branch, or at a local post office. Additionally, to further support over-65s and carers, the Bank has a dedicated support line on 1800 946 146 (open 9.30am to 4.30pm, Mon-Fri). Further details on these changes can be found on our website at www.bankofireland.com/servicechanges

Bank of Ireland has provided a range of financial services to our customers for over 237 years. Over the past year, our focus has been on helping customers navigate the challenges of COVID-19 while supporting economic recovery. The changes announced today will ensure that we can continue to play a strong role – in serving our customers and supporting the economy – for the years to come.

Best regards

Gavin Kelly

Retail Ireland CEO

Bank of Ireland

The ‘Straw Man Arguments’ are gas.

My comments were specific to people entering retail banking now or recently.

That has no relevance to someone’s mate who started as a bank teller years ago and became MD of a fund or someone who worked in a video shop years ago.

Someone who consciously went into retail banking recently and is now staring down the barrel of a gun deserves little or no sympathy.

Someone who consciously went into retail banking recently and is now staring down the barrel of a gun deserves little or no sympathy.

It's not the barrel of a gun even. They can choose to work in another branch or choose a generous voluntary redundancy package.

Brendan

The ‘Straw Man Arguments’ are gas.

My comments were specific to people entering retail banking now or recently.

That has no relevance to someone’s mate who started as a bank teller years ago and became MD of a fund or someone who worked in a video shop years ago.

Who is looking for sympathy??? I obviously missed that post where a member of BOI staff was looking for sympathy. Care to show me the link?? No you decided to call people stupid for choosing a career in banking. No actually you seem to decided that people who start off in bank branch are too stupid to know where banking is heading themselves. No, they need the gurus on AAM to tell them.

Even the initial post on this had nothing to do with employees but Brendan decided to go down some strange rabbit hole talking about Guinness and coopers in the 1950's when nobody had even mentioned employees. You decided to follow up with some ridiculous arrogant statements that people in branches are simpletons for working in an area that is under threat. Maybe these people are just looking for a foot in the door. Maybe they wanted to work local and the opportunity came up. Nobody was looking for your sympathy. Nobody was looking for you or Brendan to say this was wrong. I don't see one person saying that it is a disgrace, that BOI are wrong. So why do you think you have a right to judge anyone who took any sort of job?

But if AAM is going to go down the road with threads like this where people pass ridiculous judgement on people just trying to earn a living, then this site is just going to end up like Boards.ie

Again, you don’t seem to be reading the posts in question properly. It’s classic Straw Man stuff. At no point have I said that someone working in a branch is a simpleton.

What I have said is that anyone who has pursued such a career RECENTLY deserves very little sympathy.

Someone isn’t a “simpleton” for working in an industry that’s under threat. But, by God, if they’ve chosen to enter it recently, one has to wonder.

As for the longer-serving employees, they’ll either get handsome payoffs or be redeployed elsewhere.

I 100% agree with Sunny.
There are valid points that could be made this not being a surprise to anyone working in BOI and the further job losses and cuts are inevitable in he backing sector. It would have been very easy to make the points without sounding mean spirited

How on earth can someone who chose to enter retail banking recently be shocked or surprised at recent developments at Ulster Bank or Bank of Ireland?

Anecdotes about people working in video shops and how it stood them in good stead are charming, but are of no relevance.

I worked in a video shop too. It was good experience.

But I didn’t invest in a video shop when everyone was streaming content and then start whinging about it. Nor would I deserve any sympathy whatsoever for doing so.

If someone is starting off now and they’re pursuing a career as a bank teller, how can they deserve any sympathy?

I don't think anyone is starting off now and pursuing a career as a bank teller. The only reason why anyone would do that is if the banks are actively trying source staff by promoting such career options. I don't think they have being doing that for quite some time.

I would argue that better strategic planning would have enabled the company to reduce the branch network over time.

I got a letter in the door just now from AIB telling me that my branch at 52 Upper Baggot Street was closing and my account is moving to Lower Baggot Street.

They must be reading your advice Thirsty.

Brendan

I don't think anyone is starting off now and pursuing a career as a bank teller. The only reason why anyone would do that is if the banks are actively trying source staff by promoting such career options. I don't think they have being doing that for quite some time.

In which case, we’re probably talking about staff who’ll be well looked after.

But I stand by the point, despite the personal abuse.

The writing has been on the wall for retail banking for a long long time.

Again, you don’t seem to be reading the posts in question properly. It’s classic Straw Man stuff. At no point have I said that someone working in a branch is a simpleton.

What I have said is that anyone who has pursued such a career RECENTLY deserves very little sympathy.

Someone isn’t a “simpleton” for working in an industry that’s under threat. But, by God, if they’ve chosen to enter it recently, one has to wonder.

As for the longer-serving employees, they’ll either get handsome payoffs or be redeployed elsewhere.
There is nothing strawman about pulling you up for saying anyone who joins retail banking recently deserves to be filleted. Nobody is arguing your point about the future of banking but your language was disrespectful to people trying to earn a living and just because branches are closing doesn't mean there isn't a future in retail banking unless you define retail banking as sitting behind a counter dealing with the public on which case you don't really know what you talking about.

Back