Bank of Ireland to close branches

Surely it's the complete opposite.
By closing the branches and cutting costs they are clearly doing their job?
How often do people actually visit their bank in person?
I probably do about once a year and that's only when some dinosaur gives me a cheque that I have to lodge.
The point being, as you will see from my entire post, that better strategic management would have forseen the changes required and not needed a mass closure.

The point being, as you will see from my entire post, that better strategic management would have forseen the changes required and not needed a mass closure.

Mass closures much better politically than 80 individual closing announcements. It's why essentially every company does it this way.

I'd imagine small business owners
Correct. Take any retail business owners (small and large) in any city, town or village in Ireland - all rely on the ability to lodge cash on a daily or weekly basis. Granted, we seem to be moving towards a cashless society but I’ll guarantee you if someone come into my business with cash, I’m not going to refuse it.

Take any retail business owners (small and large) in any city, town or village in Ireland - all rely on the ability to lodge cash on a daily or weekly basis.
Paper money can be lodged using ATMs. Are branches needed to lodge coins?

Do these businesses queue up on a daily / weekly basis in branches?

Paper money can be lodged using ATMs. Are branches needed to lodge coins?

Do these businesses queue up on a daily / weekly basis in branches?
If you’re a business lodging several thousand euro in cash, daily, doing it at an ATM on the Main Street (in winter, for example) isn’t ideal for obvious reasons.

How about being more humane and planning better so you don't put people through this in the first place.

No private sector worker, has 100% job security.

A drip-feed of branch closures would be a logistical, HR, and public relations nightmare.

If you’re a business lodging several thousand euro in cash, daily, doing it at an ATM on the Main Street (in winter, for example) isn’t ideal for obvious reasons.
I don't think lodging several thousand euro in cash daily in a branch is ideal either. And the bank teller isn't providing security so a branch as it exists at present isn't necessary. A secure ATM for lodgements is needed. I would guess they exist already.

I don't think lodging several thousand euro in cash daily in a branch is ideal either. And the bank teller isn't providing security so a branch as it exists at present isn't necessary. A secure ATM for lodgements is needed. I would guess they exist already.
Have you ever tried to lodge large amounts of cash at an ATM? I have. (And cheques too). It takes a long time. And the machines don’t always work, cash gets rejected, cheques misread etc.

My point about lodging large amounts of cash, which takes time, on a public street ATM (especially on winter evenings) is that it’s an invitation for unwanted attention and raises security issues. It’s far more secure to be in a branch lodging at either an automated teller or even a real live one.

Have you ever tried to lodge large amounts of cash at an ATM? I have. (And cheques too). It takes a long time. And the machines don’t always work, cash gets rejected, cheques misread etc.

My point about lodging large amounts of cash, which takes time, on a public street ATM (especially on winter evenings) is that it’s an invitation for unwanted attention and raises security issues. It’s far more secure to be in a branch lodging at either an automated teller or even a real live one.
I have never lodged large amounts hence the questions.

I get the security requirement. That's why I suggested a secure ATM i.e. not on a public street. Doesnt have to be in a branch though.

It's the same with redundancies.

It's better to lay everyone off in one go than have a year where your employees are all fretting about losing their job.
Affected staff will either be deployed to other branches or departments or can avail of voluntary redundancy.
No compulsory redundancies.

Back