bank double charged for currency transfer?

serotoninsid

A friend of mine transferred X amount from BOI to a swiss trading account. The first transfer came back as an incompleted process as the swiss bank said that there was an error in the information that was submitted (ie. the info the customer submitted rather than the bank). The process was repeated and the transfer went through.

However, the bank charged him for both transactions. I told him to go back in to them and have them rectify but when he did, BOI maintained that both sets of charges stand.

Are they right in what they say?

Why wouldn't they be? the customer made the mistake, not them
Well, it was a question Mpsox - so thanks for your answer. As stated, the customer made a slight error in the information submitted but essentially didn't benefit from the process. Of course, I understand that their resources were used as part of this - but I would have thought they wouldn't charge in such an instance.

The customer made an error that was sufficient enough for the transaction not to be posted; by the transaction rejecting, it would actually create more work for the bank, not less.

I could see a potential reason on grounds of customer service why they wouldn't charge, but no reason why they shouldn't charge

no reason why they shouldn't charge
I guess thats fair enough....
I could see a potential reason on grounds of customer service why they wouldn't charge, but no reason why they shouldn't charge
although, I would have thought it would have fallen under this category but I guess BOI are not in any position to be benevolent these days!

how do you know it was a BOI charge and not a charge imposed by an intermediary bank or the receiving bank for the funds, a transaction was processed and funds attempted to be sent, but not accepted at receiving bank, not their faullt and entitled to charged their fee, I would have thought.