Bank doesn't have my title deeds; my solicitor is not responding

bbari1

I paid off my mortgage and received a letter from the bank saying that my title deeds aren't held by the bank. The bank advised to contact my solicitor.
The house was purchased 4/5 years ago. Certainly I will ask the solicitor but was the solicitor not obliged to send the deeds to the bank when the purchase was completed? or what if the solicitor says she sent the deeds to the bank at the time?

It has been over two months that I am chasing my solicitor to send me or my bank the title documents.. I have sent her 5/6 emails requesting the same. She acknowledged my 1st email only saying that she will look into this and will revert but no word since then. I have called her many times also but there is no answer. My follow up emails are being ignored.

is there anything else i can do except keep chasing her to do her job what she was paid for?

Write again, in print, post the letter as well as emailing it.

Copy the senior partner of the firm.

Ask for a response with 28 days or you will file a complaint.

Call to the offices. Ask the receptionist to book an appointment and ask for the appointment to be confirmed by letter.

Make the same request by registered post to the registered offices if you cannot make personal contact.

If this fails, contact the law society

I had a similar issue some years ago and, unbelievably, I got no response for a year. I sent this letter and got the deeds shortly afterwards.

A registered letter

Dear solicitor

I refer to my email of 7 th November, which you acknowledged.

I emailed you .. and... and... and... and... , none of which you have acknowledged.

As you will appreciate, this is my family home and I am very concerned that you have not explained why you did not send the deeds to the bank and why you won't return them to me now.

If I do not have the title deeds in my possession by 24th January or an explanation of why there is a delay, I will forward this file to the Law Society and ask them to get them for me.

Yours

bbari1

The Law Society no longer deals with complaints against Solicitors.

If the bank does not have the deeds, the Solicitor does (somewhere!).

As suggested by Brendan, cut to the chase and threaten to lodge an immediate complaint with the Legal Services Regulatory Authority if your Solicitor continues to ignore you. Tell your Solicitor you’re going to do this unless you hear from them within 7 days.

It’s a not-unheard-of problem where the Solicitors closes the sale and then omits to forward the deeds to the lender.

A family member (also a Solicitor) used to work with this solicitor at the time I purchased the house. I asked him to help me out who sent a text to the solicitor. She told him that she has the deeds and that she will call me. However, it has been 4 weeks and I didn't hear a word.

I would have gone to her office, if i was sure that she will be there. Its just herself who runs the firm so no Senior Partner.

No one answers calls so i can't request an appointment either.

I was afraid of upsetting her by threatening to complain incase she makes the situation more difficult for me but i think I don't have any other choice at this stage.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Thanks guys for your advise. I sent her the final warning email on Friday, she called me this evening and asked me to collect the deeds documents, which i did. She apologised for not sending the file to the bank for 4.5 years.
Thanks again.

Back