Ballsbridge, Dublin - how do i get there?

shootingstar

hi all..

i havent been to Dublin since i was a child. I have to go up there saturday week. OH is having laser surgery somewhere near Ballsbridge.

Can anyone please tell me the easiest route to get there from Cork? Im anxious enough about traffic etc. I hate getting stuck anywhere. We need to be there for 11am on the saturday. is traffic bad at that time? Also would like to avoid motorway if possible, again, hate being routed to one road and not being able to turn around if i have to... is there anyway near enough to there to park but yet more out on the outskirts? we could walk in from there then. that would make me feel much better..
and how near to O`connells & grafton st is it?

this trip is causing me serious agro...

thanks

SS

Follow the N7 to the start of Inichore. Where the Luas turns right at the canal, you turn right also. Follow the canal to Baggot street bridge (Maxol garage just before junction . ) and turn right. Straight then into Ballsbridge. If you are going to the clinic on Wellington road, then when you turn into Baggot street, continue past next set of lights and then its the next right.

Can somebody confirm that you can still make the 2 right turns above as its been a while since i have done this.

This is not the quickest route but its probably the most straight forward.

If it's gonna be a big deal for you I'd recommend driving to somewhere you know like Heuston Station and getting a cab from there. Your OH will have a lot more things on his/her mind than trying to navigate thro Dublin. The surgery should be able to order you a cab back to.

steelblue - thanks for that. Im looking for the easiest route. less traffic and somewhere with parking.

I know posters are telling me go left/right along baggot street etc but i havent a clue of Dublin. I might as well be in central london!!

would traffic be bad around this time of day (10 - 11am sat)

Heuston station - where is that? is it near city centre or more cork side of Dublin? Would i struggle with traffic if i made my way there? Also how long would we be in a taxi from station to wellington rd clinic?

sorry for so many Q`s - really anxious

Have you checked the likes of Google Maps and maybe the and other transport links?

CM - thank you for the links. i checked the journey planner. its asking me for the start journey. Where would be a good place to select if im coming up from Cork? it has loads of Dublin sites etc but i dont know where any of them are. I suppose somewhere out on the Naas Rd perhaps? Ive only ever been as far as Peugeot on the Naas Rd. Traffic was MENTAL!!! oh god...

Why drive to Heuston?

You could get a train to Heuston. Luas to Connolly. DART to Ballsbridge. 10 minute walk to Wellington Road. Or taxi from Heuston to Ballsbridge (arond €20/25 I'd say). 20-30 minutes on a Saturday morning I'd say.

If the train isn't an option, you could always drive directly to the city centre and then follow the signs for Ballsbridge/N11.

Go to Easons and pick up a street map of Dublin-this is a handy little guide.

thanks ya ill pick up a map. taking public transport other than a taxi isnt an option.

a motor bike would solve all my porblems LOL.
OH is just laughing over it, he doesnt understand whats its like to have dislikes towards unknown areas and severe traffic. I might add - no one is confirming the traffic situation??? This is a bad sign isnt it? Be gentle, tell me its not too bad..

ok thanks.. thats a bit of a relief anyway... while OH is in having laser done - would O`connell st and central dublin be within walking distance?

As an alternative why not make a "mini- break" out of it- book a 2 night hotel stay and head up by train the evening before, takes all the hassle out of travelling and making appointments on time, especially if you are unsure about directions etc. My OH and I did this some years back when she was having laser surgery; stayed at the Mespil Hotel and had a nice city break to boot.

ok thanks.. thats a bit of a relief anyway... while OH is in having laser done - would O`connell st and central dublin be within walking distance?

Everything is within walking distance-but you would be better off using the bus or DART.

The reason I said to drive to Heuston (as opposed to taking the train) is that your OH will have a bandage over his/her eye and will need somewhere they can lie down if need be. If you don't know where Heaston is then Bewleys Hotel on the Naas Rd may be better. The taxi will prob cost upto 40 each way but compared to the few grand on the eyes it's insignificant. Traffic will be light. Best of luck!

Hi Carpenter
not an option im afraid - other commitments
public transport not an option either other than a taxi.

i`ll work on it, something has to work in my favour

That's a great idea...with all due respect the OP doesn't seem to have a clue where anywhere in Dublin is!
With your other half having what is after all an operation you'd be better off taking the hassle out of it and staying in Dublin. Plus, when I had laser surgery you had to go and get checked by the surgeon first thing the following morning...is that not the case anymore?

we werent told we would have to come back for a check up the following day.
OH is having both eyes done so now i think we have another problem. He thinks he`ll be able to get up and walk out and about? oh oh...

again, ill have to have a serious think and sort something..

thanks all for the help. no doubt i`ll be back with more Q`s...

SS

He will be able to walk around but he'll be wearing two plastic eye patches...you can still see but I wouldn't be getting too exuberant!
If you don't know where you're going but can't stay in Dublin the best thing would be to drive somewhere you do know, park and get a taxi.
Do you know where Lansdowne Road is? Or the RDS?