Ballina Co Mayo

markowitzman said:
Agree on multinational but in order to get one you first need a TD and then a minister!
Not a Pee Flynn clone I hasten to add!

Sunnyboy said:
(Michael Ring is your only man)

Michael Ring ain't ever going to be a minister ... enough of the politics.ie stuff though ;)

EvilDoctorK said:
Michael Ring ain't ever going to be a minister ... enough of the politics.ie stuff though ;)

He is thought by the people of Westport and it's hinterland to be someone who will stand a good chance of a junior ministry should the Rainbow coalition come to power in a years time (or sooner)

Just a few points on your replies.

1. Tesco and Dunnes Stores expanding is not what I meant by external investment. The jobs created there will be low-skilled and will canibalise existing work there. Ballina needs investment that will inject money into the local economy. Firms that will create jobs, spend money and not have to rely on the local market.

2. I heard back in 2000, Knock would be transatlantic within 5 years. Same claim, 6 years later. Of course, it would be fantastic if Knock could attract transatlantic travel but let's be realistic here. At the moment, Knock only does scheduled flights to destinations in the UK and Ireland. It also does seasonal chartered flights to sun destinations, other than that, there's not much else. There's no reason to suggest this is going to change anytime soon.

3. I mentioned a 'brain drain' from Ballina, I can only go by anecdotal evidence from when I went to school in Ballina but generally, those who went on to IT's and uni's (especially in this case), haven't returned. You cite an increasing number of professionals coming to Ballina too, if this is true, why are house prices static/falling?

As a final point, I'm most definitely not a begrudger, I would love to see Ballina prospering. There's only one way it'll, foreign investment.

Back to basics here. Are the EAs in Ballina quoting 20% over the real current market value one wonders ???

I love reading posts from a while ago and see houw things turn out!. . . Ballina is a thriving town now .. . with over 400 businesses and growing every month . . . they started a new website to promote Ballina & Its businesses Called [broken link removed] which lists all the Businesses in Ballina. Last word is Ballina is THE place to do business in Mayo

Back