Bag packers in Supermarkets collecting for charity

It goes down a treat with the kids when I tell them "here's a few bob and I'll pack my own bags, you have a rest". IMHO 50c, 1 or 2e is not going to break the bank.

Have helped out on fund raising bag packs in the past and most of the adults and kids hate it. Its hard work standing there for hours with usually only short breaks.

Bag packers in Tesco today, the little girl packing for me was so helpful. Left the eggs out of the bag and pointed out my change (it was on the self-service till). Well worth the 60c I gave her....

ClubMan said:
What's a self service till? Do you scan/ring-up your own groceries or something!?

So you haven't experienced the joys of Tesco Clare Hall then ?

Security Guards, security tagging, anything worth robbing is nailed to the shelves. It's something else, get on the 27 and have a gander.

ClubMan said:
How do they detect shoplifters?
Was in the D15 Tesco today. They have a staff member giving any assistance needed - presume they look out for people puttin unscanned items into bags...... generally I think it is an honour system tho.

Think it is a waste of time tho- took me twice as long to scan the items and pay......

When you scan an item, the item details are displayed on the screen and you get a subtotal. You cannot scan another item until the previous item you scanned is put into a shopping bag and is detected by its weight. (Your shopping bag has to rest on a scales). Therefore the total weight of your bag of groceries has to match what was scanned. (I presume that the weight of the item is in the bar code).

Is this a joke? If not then why did others not mention this approach?

Nearly all big supermarkets in the Uk have these tills, remember there is a security cameras on you at all times.

This is gone from D15 Tesco, instead you have to let the item slide down the conveyoer b4 the next item gets scanned.

royrogers said:
Nearly all big supermarkets in the Uk have these tills, remember there is a security cameras on you at all times.

I first used these tills in Ohio, USA 2 and half years ago.

brodiebabe said:
This is gone from D15 Tesco, instead you have to let the item slide down the conveyoer b4 the next item gets scanned.

No, there are a couple of tills (5?) that are self service in that Tesco. The one with the conveyor belt is for people with trollies. The other ones are for basket shoppers and as Marge said they weigh everything to make sure that everything is scanned before it is put into your bag. ie the machine knows what a tin of pedigree pal dog food weighs and that exact weight must be added to your bag before the machine will allow you to continue..

The till also calls out how much each item costs, presumably to help people whose eyesight is not the best.

When you are finished, you can either elect to pay by card or cash, both of which you imsert into a slot. The cash option is ideal for getting rid of a wallet full of small change.

The advantage for Tesco is that they can have one member of staff operating 5 tills.

A disadvantage of the self service is that you can't get cashback on your laser transaction. I also find them slower, especially if you get someone a bit doddery in front of you.

Murt

I'm one of those begrudgers who hates this lark too I'm afraid.
The whole 'you don't have to give them money' idea doesn't wash with me either. The point is you feel obliged to and if you don't you feel like a complete stinge.

The same applies to charities who sit at tables at the entrance/exit to shops and supermarkets. I make it my business to ignore them. Fundraisers on Grafton street too who literally acost you while you're trying to go about your business. It all needs to be stopped in my opinion.

As for scouts/ cubs whatever....they can fundraise in other ways. Cake sales etc etc...the bag packing thing works for them because people don't like to feel mean so they give. To be honest, I couldn't give a rashers whether my local scout den has whatever they need to do x, y or z this year but confronted with some little blighter shoving my pizzas into a bag for me and a queue full of aul dears behind me I'll probably shove a few pennies into the cookie jar for him /her before I leave.
I imagine most people feel the same way. I wonder how much money they'd receive if there was just a box sitting at the end of the til instead and no child there? This would probably be a better gauge of how much people actually want to help their cause.

On principle I try not to give any money to anyone who shoves their cause under my nose.

Ah lads, ye are miles behind in the smoke. We've had the self-service tills down here for the last year and a half. There's a couple of the ones for baskets with the weighing scales and one with a converyor belt for the trolley-sized shop.

They are as slow as Christmas though. If it's something without a bar code (like loose fruit and veg) you have to go through menus etc. and it takes an age. If you buy alcohol, you have to wait for some young one to come and see if you are old enough and press a few buttons.

I never thought of the idea of getting rid of a lot of change but it's a great tip! Thanks

Rebecca

You make fundraising sound so easy! Have you ever tried it? It's a real nightmare. The volunteers (who I'd prefer would be spending their time on volunteering, e.g. scouting, sports coaching, etc etc) are giving up even more of their time to hold out the begging bowl. They don't choose bag-packing to make you feel bad. They choose it because it works.

And you might give a rashers about your scout den when you consider the alternative - having those kids roaming the streets unsupervised with time on their hands.

RainyDay said:
are giving up even more of their time to hold out the begging bowl.

If they want to hold out the begging bowl then be expected to be treated as begging

Are you sure it is not the bagging bowl?

I agree that bag packers at half the tills would be a good idea - at least then you feel you have a choice - and if it's a cause you would choose to give to - you join the queue.
I did ring the local Tesco a week ago for their comment. After holding for 10 mins I agreed to leave my number for someone to call me back to discuss - needless to say - I'm still waiting.

I honestly don't see any problem with this - all the kids are looking for is a little loose change - they won't refuse even 10 or 15 cent. Its a lot less 'in your face' than church gate collections or street chugging.