Bad driving- tailgating

Danmo said:
I use the M1 to get to work. I always leave a "safe space" between me and the car in front particularly in bad weather so I can brake and someone always ducks in front of me either with or without an indicator causing me to break sharply. Don't these idiots know this is how accidents happen? One morning in frosty weather this guy literally drove up to my bumper and flashed me to get out of his way i.e. move to inside lane. It's not like I was dawdling - I was doing the speed limit - 120 kph. Am I missing something?
One other point-car speedometers overtstate the speed they are travellinfg at anything betwwen 5 and 15%. Don't depend on your speedometer to be 100% accurate - you may have been only doing about 100 km/hr, and travelling at less than the limit..

DrMoriarty said:
Maybe the Merc drivers with the horn and flashing lights routine could 'chill out' by 5-15%...? ;)
True..
In all fairness, Irish driving standards are appalling..
No Indicators, Bad lane discipline, Ignorance of how to approach/drive on a roundabout etc

Murt10 said:
It was only when I was stopped on the hard shoulder that I realised just how fast the cars and trucks were actually travelling at. The wind kept rocking and buffering my car as the traffic went past.

Any time I go around the M50 I usually pass 5 cars or so parked on the hard shoulder. Usually so the occupant can make/take a mobile call...
That kind of nonsense wouldn't be tolerated any where else.

My original post stemmed from my frustration with town driving as opposed to driving on the motorway, even though the same bad driving habits apply. I wonder would an ad campaign to highlight this kind of stupid behaviour (tailgating, agressive driving style, inadequate anticipation of road/ conditions/ other road users/ pedestrians) in urban situations be of any benefit? Many drivers are probably unaware of fundamental flaws in their driving behaviour. Was there talk of a campaign to tackle basic driving principles, like how to negotiate a roundabout correctly?

cuchulainn said:
I was reluctant to say it in case it made dublin drivers mad(er) but I fully agree with DrM. 120kph is way way too fast for the M50 as its just too busy. if anything suddenly happens theres almost no escaping the mayhem that follows. even though I occsionally drive at 120 on the M1 I usually settle down around 100-110 as I find it more 'comfortable' also on the M1 there is not the concentration of traffic that there is on the M50.

Saying that a speed limit (again, not a target) is too much for a motorway is a bit much I reckon.

When there's traffic, you go slower. When there's no traffic, go faster. 120kmph is perfect for many stretches of the M50 at a number of times during the day.

Much of the problems I experience on the M50 regarding speeds of other drivers is that they expect to be driving slow because of all the publicity. So, when traffic clears, they don't really notice and carry on driving slowly, despite the road being clear ahead.

You can tell these drivers because as soon as you come up to overtake them, they'll suddenly increase their speed.

As you say yourself, if you're comfortable at a speed, then drive it - it doesn't matter what the speed limit is at all.

Carpenter said:
My original post stemmed from my frustration with town driving as opposed to driving on the motorway, even though the same bad driving habits apply. I wonder would an ad campaign to highlight this kind of stupid behaviour (tailgating, agressive driving style, inadequate anticipation of road/ conditions/ other road users/ pedestrians) in urban situations be of any benefit? Many drivers are probably unaware of fundamental flaws in their driving behaviour. Was there talk of a campaign to tackle basic driving principles, like how to negotiate a roundabout correctly?

Given people don't moderate their driving habits in a fashion as to save their lives and those of others in the light of far more dramatic and forceful ad campaigns, I'd be surprised if other habits would be curtailed either.

jdwex said:
Any time I go around the M50 I usually pass 5 cars or so parked on the hard shoulder. Usually so the occupant can make/take a mobile call...
That kind of nonsense wouldn't be tolerated any where else.

The more ridiculous part of this is people who sit in their cars when parked on the hard shoulder. Particularly on the M50 given the pretty regular sight of cars slipping down the hard shoulder indicating left long distances before the slip roads start.

That, and it's unreal the number of people who stand on the M50 at sliproads waiting for someone to pick them up for lifts to work or wherever. There's a muppet always at the Blanchardstown exit, one at the Lucan road exit, and most bizarrely, a fat bloke in a luminous jacket on the bridge over the canal just before you get to the Naas road exit.

Back