Aviva want copy of my vehicle reg cert

Palerider

I have my 2010 car insured with Aviva a number of years, it’s a car in my ownership six years, a low mileage baby, no plans to change it either.

Renewal is due next month, I received a letter from Aviva asking for a copy of my vehicle registration certificate before they will issue a quote for renewal, I have emailed them asking why with no reply at this point.

They included my proof of no claims bonus if I decided I wanted to go elsewhere.

Any suggestions why this could form part of any risk assessment at this juncture ?

One of the "standard" provisions in personal vehicle insurance policies is that the car is registered in your name. This is simply verifying one of the conditions. I see nothing sinister or unusual here. I've been asked to provide copies of the RF100/RF101 and have done so, just like I've supplied copies of my licence when asked.

I have been messed around by Aviva this year also......I wonder why they were happy to insure the same car last year for you?

First time in almost 40 years driving that I have been asked for the vehicle registration certificate or a logbook.

The cert has a lot more information than just my name and address so should it be assumed it is just to verify me as owner.

Have been with them a few years, same car, no claims, just curious why now as the car enters its 10 year old period and why they did not tell me why in their letter to me.

There has been a spate of incidents with old cars puchased for cash, insurance taken out & staged accidents being set up.

There has been a spate of incidents with old cars puchased for cash, insurance taken out & staged accidents being set up.

True but I doubt many of those incidents involved the insured with no claims bonus with the company already and the old car insured with them for years.

Really crude \ lazy \ dumb algorithm Aviva are using here. You'd think those highly paid actuaries they employ could've taken a closer look at the data.

I’m not currently with Aviva but I was with them for a few years. At some stage during my years with them I was asked to provide a copy of the Vehicle cert. Just to clarify, this was during, not when I first took out the policy with them. So I would say that it’s nothing unusual. I really don’t think it has anything to do with risk assessment it’s just them making sure all is kosher.

I got a call today saying this was required as they are regulated by the Central Bank...I didn’t get into it but of course this isn’t a valid answer.

I got a call today saying this was required as they are regulated by the Central Bank...I didn’t get into it but of course this isn’t a valid answer.
No it's not.. I would love to see where the Central Bank have stated this too them......this is the type of thing that can turn you off a company.

Incidentally log in as a "new" customer and get a quote before paying any renewal.

I am having a dreadful experience with Aviva at the moment.

They are cold calling me and asking me for personal information. If I don't give them this information they refuse to talk to me.

Quoting GDPR. Despite me telling them that I am the policy holder they are choosing not to believe me.

hi When you log in as a new customer as Slurry suggests dont foget to Delete your cookies and
with insurance allways shop around

I am having a dreadful experience with Aviva at the moment.
They are cold calling me and asking me for personal information. If I don't give them this information they refuse to talk to me.
Quoting GDPR. Despite me telling them that I am the policy holder they are choosing not to believe me.

Ask them to put any request in writing as you don't know they are Aviva just because they claim to be.
I have had similar catch-22 phone calls with a bank.

If an insurance company asks for a copy of the registration documentation be sure to send them only a photocopy.
Originals of documents get lost everywhere these days and you pay for the replacements........
I would send a photocopy but sign it and note it as being a true copy of the original.

Back