AVC Limit to aim for

It depends on the rate you draw it down at also.

If you are getting the benefit of the 40% tax shield on the way in (then grow it tax free and without deemed disposal breaking your compounding) and are paying 20% + prsi + usc on the way out then that is a huge win in anybody's calculations.

If you are getting the benefit of the 40% tax shield on the way in (then grow it tax free and without deemed disposal breaking your compounding) and are paying 20% + prsi + usc on the way out then that is a huge win in anybody's calculations.

That's absolutely correct, that's why I said there is a direct relationship between your income tax rates in retirement and how much tax you'll eventually pay on your 'tax free growth', barring any tax free drawdown. There is no disagreement with the benefit of investing in a pension up to a certain level.

In the OP's case they already have a plan in place which will give them an income of €50k+ in retirement. So extra retirement income resulting from additional AVCs is likely to be taxed at 40%+.

That's absolutely correct, that's why I said there is a direct relationship between your income tax rates in retirement and how much tax you'll eventually pay on your 'tax free growth', barring any tax free drawdown. There is no disagreement with the benefit of investing in a pension up to a certain level.

In the OP's case they already have a plan in place which will give them an income of €50k+ in retirement. So extra retirement income resulting from additional AVCs is likely to be taxed at 40%+.
Yes so in my case, there's no alternative then paying 40% + on withdrawal from arf but still better to put into avcs rather then deposit in my bank now?

Yes so in my case, there's no alternative then paying 40% + on withdrawal from arf but still better to put into avcs rather then deposit in my bank now?
I would suggest yes.
In years to come if relief on AVC’s reduce you would at least have got the benefit going in and could reduce AVC payments later if you so wished.
In the meantime it’s compounding.

I would suggest yes.
In years to come if relief on AVC’s reduce you would at least have got the benefit going in and could reduce AVC payments later if you so wished.
In the meantime it’s compounding.
Yes True, if Sinn Fein ever got in, they would go after that relief.maybe looking to purchase second property after 200k in avcs might be better option.

Confused it also depends on whether you have a partner and are joint filing. Then you could earn up to €84,000 before going into the 40% tax bracket.

Putting your money into AVC's is a no brainer for me and it is why I kept insisting on the fact that I was entitled to put money into them despite early refusals as to my eligibility to do so.

Confused, do a lot of research and reading before going down the road of a second property. There are many good reasons why so many have gotten out of that field or reduced our holdings in it.

Yes True, if Sinn Fein ever got in, they would go after that relief.maybe looking to purchase second property after 200k in avcs might be better option.
It’s not even just who’s in government.
When the whole AE thing settles down and people start looking around as to who’s getting the best deal (gov contributions, tax relief….) campaigning may start to level the playing field.

I strongly suspect in such a situation it will move to the lowest denominator.
So, I’d be inclined to make hay while the sun shines. No harm if I’m off the mark. You can adjust contributions later.

I wholeheartedly agree with Benbulben.
From my own experience I’d suggest you think long and hard before purchasing property.
I got out and sleep well since.

It’s not even just who’s in government.
When the whole AE thing settles down and people start looking around as to who’s getting the best deal (gov contributions, tax relief….) campaigning may start to level the playing field.

I strongly suspect in such a situation it will move to the lowest denominator.
So, I’d be inclined to make hay while the sun shines. No harm if I’m off the mark. You can adjust contributions later.

I wholeheartedly agree with Benbulben.
From my own experience I’d suggest you think long and hard before purchasing property.
I got out and sleep well since.
Hmm, ok . Cheers for the insights lads. Cant like posts yet but appreciate all the comments.

Confused it also depends on whether you have a partner and are joint filing. Then you could earn up to €84,000 before going into the 40% .

Putting your money into AVC's is a no brainer for me and it is why I kept insisting on the fact that I was entitled to put money into them despite early refusals as to my eligibility to do so.
84k for married pensionable couple? My partner has dc pension so hoping she will take lump sum from that. So are you saying my 50k db pension would allow us another34k in arf withdrawals a year taxed at 20%?

Last edited:
84k for married pensionable couple? My partner has dc pension so hoping she will take lump sum from that. So are you saying my 50k db pension would allow us another34k in arf withdrawals a year taxed at 20%?
Yes, as Benbulben said,

Standard Rate Cut-Off point married/civil partners two incomes jointly assessed is currently
plus increase of the lower of
the income of the lower earner or 33k.

So, max 84k at 20%
Income above that at 40%.

Yes, as Benbulben said,

Standard Rate Cut-Off point married/civil partners two incomes jointly assessed is currently
plus increase of the lower of
the income of the lower earner or 33k.

So, max 84k at 20%
Income above that at 40%.
My db pension plus state as is 50k, girlfriends state contributory another approx 14k. That would leave circa 20k a year arf withdrawals @20% tax. I didn't know any of this so that does change my perspective on avcs in more positive light regards money in the avc pot after 200k tax free lump sum. Thanks for the info.

Bear in mind, to my knowledge your partners any unused part of max 33k is not transferable to you.
Your SRCP would be 51k.
If you are highest earner.
Presuming joint assessment.

Bear in mind, to my knowledge your partners any unused part of max 33k is not transferable to you.
Your SRCP would be 51k.
If you are highest earner.
Presuming joint assessment.
That throws a spanner in the works of my plan above so. I can't get tax relief of 20% on anything after my db pension and state pension so. Partner will take her lump sum and whatever she has left she can put into arf and draw down at 20% of 33k minus her state pension. I am in original boat so with regards my tax situation. Partners pension pot will be good bit smaller and she doesn't have db pension.

Last edited:
Back