Australian Merchandise

Beaut!

Incidentally, (on a complete tangent) did you know that in Oz they have drive through off-licences? Like a drive through McDonalds except you order your drink and they come out and load it into your boot. Brilliant!

Jars of Vegemite are available in Superquinn, Swords. Perhaps Vegemite is available in this supermarket chain nationwide. I purchase a jar (with my groceries) every month or so. It would not be wrong to say that I do a good bit of the family shopping at this supermarket because I can purchase Vegemite there.

Vegemite is a yeast extract. It is darker than marmite and has a far sharper and more salty taste. Some people describe Marmite as much blander. I believe Marmite originated in Britain; whilst Vegemite was developed in Australia between the first and second world wars.

One slice of toast with generous spread of Vegemite is, for me, a good weekday breakfast. I know one particular person who, for many years, swore by vegemite and cheese sandwiches. There are many, many combinations, most of which might sound very unpalatable.

Vegemite is ....an acquired taste.

Just for the record...I lived in Australia/NZ for nine years...and I NEVER saw anyone drinking Fosters...and I even worked in the alcohol industry for a while!

Just for the record...I lived in Australia/NZ for nine years...and I NEVER saw anyone drinking Fosters...and I even worked in the alcohol industry for a while!

Having been there myself I agree completely. I even asked several Ozzies about whether or not they would drink the stuff. Responses ranged from "Never heard of it" to "That stuff is so bad we export it".

Back