Asset allocation on retirement?

jonny63

60 years old with a net worth of about 2.5 mil, 4 children all earning, what asset allocation would be advised?

We could easily put it all into safe options and live out our years happily, on the other hand a certain amount in equity and property would give a probable higher legacy fund to the children.

We could easily put it all into safe options and live out our years happily, on the other hand a certain amount in equity and property would give a probable higher legacy fund to the children.
I think you have framed the question very well - it really depends what you want to achieve with your savings.

You clearly have the ability to take investment risk but do you have any need to take investment risk? Only you can answer that question.

Having said that, I think as a starting point a reasonable allocation at retirement might be (roughly) one third of your net worth in property (including your PPR), one third in global equities and one third in fixed-income (including cash deposits).

Also, bear in mind that unexpected inflation is an ever present risk...

1. What is the target annual income you expect your portfolio to produce, and what is this as a percentage of your starting capital?

2 What is your intended bequest, i.e. what percentage of your starting capital do you want to leave to your descendants?

These should be your starting points to scope and firm up on what your requirements are.

Back