Arthur's Day - Any freebies?

SlurrySlump

I'm just wondering if there were any freebies yesterday in local pubs etc to celebrate Arthur's Day. Free pints? Half price pints? etc. or was it all pay as you go?

Went to the Hopstore,saw Snow patrol,westlife,manic street preachers.
Pints were 4e.
10 euro for the ticket,so that was a bargain.

Anything on in the outskirts of this country (where we also consume Guinness)?

Answer: very little !!

People live outside Dublin too.

I know loads of people who live in different parts of the country and there seemed to be a lot going on.Just checked the Guinness website and the photos show a lot of people in different areas having a ball?

Isn't it great to see so many people going out of their way and spending their hard-earned to keep the Morketing Dept of Diageo in bonuses?

Isn't it great to see so many people going out of their way and spending their hard-earned to keep the Morketing Dept of Diageo in bonuses?
Yes, and drinking something made in Ireland and keeping the employees ,employed,bar men,waiting staff , brewery staff etc oh and yes marketing staff.

Yes, and drinking something made in Ireland and keeping the employees ,employed,bar men,waiting staff , brewery staff etc oh and yes marketing staff.

Don't forget all those hospital staff in A&E, Gardai, bouncers, the guys who hose down the puke from the pavements in the morning, etc etc.

Don't forget all those hospital staff in A&E, Gardai, bouncers, the guys who hose down the puke from the pavements in the morning, etc etc.

Well in fairness I don't think we can blame Guinness on that entirely, there's many other drinks company's who do similar marketing,ie bulmers comedy festival,Heineken rugby...

Maybe personal responsibility comes into play?

I don't see that type of carry on anytime I'm in France,Italy etc.

As Bulmers might say, your mixing your apples and pears..
However I do see your point.

No harm in a few drinks IMO

People not handling their drink isn't really Diageo's fault

No harm in a few drinks IMO
Yes there is.

Just like cigarettes, alcohol does do harm. Heart disease, dementia, cancer, alcoholism, diabetes and stroke, for example.
There are studies that suggest that low consumption has beneficial effects, but alcohol is far from benign.

Another reason I stopped going to the pub, is because of lack of choice. For some reason most pubs only have the bland hineken/carlesburg/guinness on offer, and hardly any alcohol free beers. I've drunk alcohol free czech beer that's far nicer than these.

Relax umop3p!sdn, a bit of a preaching post there

There is no harm in a few drinks, and most pubs will have Becks or Erdinger Alkohol Frei for the non drinkers too

What I want to know is what happened to pint bottles of Cidona, not seen them in years

I don't mean to preach, but it does annoy me that guinness is free to advertise alcohol, and even has an 'Arthur's' day, however, headshops etc are quashed.

Ultimately, it doesn't really bother me that much anyway, although it is disappointing that we can't get proper drink in Irish pubs.

Well in fairness I don't think we can blame Guinness on that entirely, there's many other drinks company's who do similar marketing,ie bulmers comedy festival,Heineken rugby...
"It wasn't my fault, Miss - all the other boys were doing it too".

I thought we moved on from those kinds of excuses when we left 3rd class in primary school.

"It wasn't my fault, Miss - all the other boys were doing it too".

I thought we moved on from those kinds of excuses when we left 3rd class in primary school.

Eh?

It was a marketing coup by Guinness but nobody was forced to go to a pub and buy Guinness or any sort of alcohol. I was out and I didn't see any more people falling over and getting sick than usual. As a matter of fact, things seemed to be a lot more under control. I got to see some great bands and a lot of money was raised for charity. I also spoke to some tourists who really enjoyed the idea.

I had 4 pints and a good night. Should I feel guilty or something?

Fair play to Guinness is what I say. I hope their morketing department did get a bonus.

You can hardly blame Diageo's marketing department (or Heineken's or Bulmer's) if people can't handle their drink.