Are Fuel Oil Additives Genuine ?

Here's my story relating to Dipetane and another fuel additive...
I have a few old bikes, a couple of which have stellar mileages on them.
For most of their life they've just run on normal pump petrol, but usually the best petrol available at the time, so not often ditchwater if I could help it.
Even though they've been stone-reliable, they're not immune to age and vibration taking their toll on gaskets and seals, so every 50,000 miles or so I've had the barrels and piston off to re-gasket the top ends, including the notorious base gasket (these are Suzuki GS850s, by the way).
One of them was off the road for ten years and I didn't lay it up properly at the start of that period, as I fully expected to start using it again, but it never happened, as is so often the case with many bikes. As a result of that, some of the rings were sticky, and a regime of ATF and diesel down the bores certainly freed them up a bit, but the results weren't perfect. Even so, I was able to scoot around on that bike from 2012 to 2017 before the usual base gasket oil leak became too bad and I had to strip it.
For the two or three years prior to the stripdown I'd been using firstly Techron from Chevron (it's an additive found in Texaco petrol) and when I couldn't get that I was using Dipetane.
On disassembly I found almost no carbon on the pistons, and next to nothing on the backs of the valves, which surprised me a little, as the mileage involved would normally have left some deposits, certainly much more than I found. I'm talking old-tech here, not some fuel-injected computer controlled lump, just old-fashioned carburettion.
From my direct experience I can say with certainty that Texaco fuel made the bike run better and that's why I used Techron, because I'm rarely near a Texaco station. I'd not go so far as to say I got any better fuel economy out of it, but I wasn't expecting any. It was smoother and nicer to use and that was the most important bit for me.
Dipetane - as far as I can see it did pretty much the same job, but I can't swear to it. I'd not say the engine was quite as nice with Dipetane, but I'm fairly sure it helped the fuel burn more cleanly and that was good enough.
Given that my usual fill up is at the local Top Oil station, just out of necessity, I find that adding Techron or Dipetane improves their fuel just a bit. It's not that Top is crap, but it's not as good as Texaco. Look up 'Top Tier Gasoline' for something of the information I discovered when I was researching this. Not all fuels are the same. Sure, they may leave the refinery in the same tankers, but the different companies have varying additive packs the drivers or station owners put in.
So, all anecdotal, but if you don't believe me, I really couldn't give a stuff. I'm continuing to use Dipetane, and when I'm near a Texaco station I fill up there too. When I remember and it's during the week, I will nip into the small local agent for Techron who stocks the Chevron additive. It's definitely effective.

A quick mention - Years ago I bought a 25 litre drum of Dipetane from my local Motor Factors. They needed to order it in for me and I collected it 2-3 days later.

I just kept this in the garage and topped up the usual long neck containers from time to time with a funnel from the drum. (Just start keeping a few empties and you can do a load of these in advance to minimise the minor hassle involved)

Have no recollection of the costs involved at the time - This was 8-10 years ago at least! But it did make a good saving allright.

Funnily enough I found a few bottles on a high shelf recently when tidying up so the venture is still going strong!

Back