Archos Players?

Butter

I heard George Hook talking to someone the other day on Newstalk Radio about Archos Players. They sounded very good and the kind of thing that my husband would like (thinking Christmas present here). My question is does anyone know anything about Archos? Would you recommend?
Many Thanks!

Re: Archos?

They're quite good, lots of well-thought out features. Peats have them. But, everything is extra. If you want a mains charger that's extra (they come with a USB carge cable only). If you want to record from TV, the adaptor is extra. If you want to playback ripped DVDs, the MPEG2 codec is extra. The web browser is extra. On the positive side, they're well built and robust and fairly reliable. You can drag and drop files one like an external hard disc, no nosy software in the way. But let's face it, these gadgets can be a matter of taste, so don't buy without looking and comparing. And, by Christmas, I'd expect new models. The 605 series has been out for quite a while now.

I have one and it is pretty good. I bought it for travelling so I could watch downloaded shows, listen to music. I also downloaded some books onto it but didn't use it for that in the end. Some of them can be set up like Sky+ and you can record direct from the TV - you can also hook it up to the TV so that you can watch digital movies on the big screen. Last factor for me is that it's wireless and you can buy a browser for it - so I could check email in wireless zones. You can also store pics etc.

Having said all of that, there are many individual things that do all of the above (or a selection of them) that might be better - what exactly are you looking for? A DVD player? A hand held/small browsing laptop (I see lots of mini laptops with Linux on in the shops now)? A digital recorder?

Sprite

p.s. that said, all my male friends were pretty jealous when I got my Archos a year ago - it might appeal to the gadget-lovers

Bought an Archos last year and found it good in relation to screen size and ease-of-use.

Most attachements can be picked up on eBay as needed - i.e. you don't need them all so only buy what you need.

The BIG problem I have with mine (a 604) is the volume. Took it on hols with me this year and couldn't hear dialogue from my movies over the plane engine noise.

Then, when connected to a TV on holidays i could only hear dialogue when connected to a bigger TV (21")... couldn't hear anything on the portable (14"). Also had a problem connected to a TV in a hotel room where the volume was "governed".

I've looked for firmware updates to no avail which is a pity as otherwise I like this player.

Are you using the headphones that came supplied with your device? If they are like the ones that come with a PSP, they are limited as to their maximum volume (due to French regulations). If you try them with other headphones, you might find some improvement.

Or use a portable headphone amp.
Does such exist??

Or you could use the noise limiting ear plugs/headphones that cost an arm and a leg.

Mrs hansov has an Archos; I have a Cowon A2 which I think is a lot more versatile and easier to hook up to external devices as you don't need a cradle like the Archos. BTW we use these on plane journeys and airport lay overs . At all other times we try to talk to one another

Does such exist??

Or you could use the noise limiting ear plugs/headphones that cost an arm and a leg.....

Of yes theres loads of them. Usually audophiles use them to run headphones that need more power than portable music players provide, and it can improve the SQ a lot if you are using a line out. Lots on info Google or HeadFi.

Most electronic noise cancelling earphones aren't very good. What you need is a set of in ear monitors (IEM) or Canal earphones. These form a mechancial seal in your ear that prevents sound leakage in or out. So you can use a much lower volume and you can't ear external noises.

At the low end you've earphones like the Sennheiser CX300's which are Canal Earphones, then you have more expenise makes like Shure, or Ultimate Ears.

Avoid things like the Sennheiser PX250's.

Obviously I'm not the only one having this problem.

Quite honestly Marg, given this problem I couldn't recommend this product.

I aways thought the controls and GUI on the Archos was quite poor. I think myself I'd got for an iTouch instead of an Archos.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It's pretty clear now that I need to do a good bit of research before I make any decisions. I'm not great on the technology front unfortunately so that's why I was looking for some opinions. My husband does a lot of travelling with work and looks like more in the pipeline and I thought it would be a great gadget for him when he's away.
The volume issue is a big concern - thanks to G123 for the link to the Archos forum.
Aircobra19 - can i ask why you'd recommend an iTouch?

Its so easy to use and it has a decent screen while remaining pocketable.

Anything bigger you might aswell just a small laptop.

That said I don't do a lot of travel with a device like that, so perhaps if I did I would change my opinion.

For versatility, a CREATIVE ZEN is hard to beat.

It doesn't have the screen size of the ARCHOS or the design elegance of the iTouch, but it can play most formats on a 2.5" screen.

I have a ZEN Vision:M which, although no longer made, can be picked up (reconditioned) from CREATIVE for about EUR 100. It has a TV Out feed to play through a TV (Red/White/Yellow) connection. It plays most DivX without issue and converts (on a PC) those that it cannot play to WMV.

I use the screen while on the daily work commute and used it a lot while on holiday. Although the screen is small, the clarity is good and doesn't leave me with eye strain. My wife has a CREATIVE ZEN which is less versatile and does not have a TV Out connection, but has replaced her iPod Nano in her affections.

The difference is 2.5" at 320x240 vs 3.5" and 480x320.

The small MP3 players like the Zen, (I have the Sony A818) are fine for short commuting, but I think the extra size of the touch is worth it for a longer journey like a flight. Probably the longer the journey the bigger the screen you like. I'd probably use something with more PDA/WiFi functionality myself. I like reading eBooks too.

For versatility, a CREATIVE ZEN is hard to beat.
Not sure about the current Zen, but I had the original Zen MP4 player and if it did accept a video file (it was picky), the desktop software, which you had to use, then took many many hours transcoding (converting) it.

There's a big advantage of convenience with devices that will play any file you drop into it without transcoding or which can record straight from your NTL or Sky box.

Oh and look out for battery life.

If you want a mains charger that's extra (they come with a USB carge cable only). If you want to record from TV, the adaptor is extra.

Completely untrue. I bought one about 2 years ago and there's a power plug that goes into the adapter then into your wall socket. Also the same adapter is used to record from tv/dvd/vcr.
No offence but if you're going to give someone advice on a product it's best if you know what you're talking about.

To be honest you don't need to be well up on technology to use an Archos. You literally record what you see on your tv, be it a dvd, video cassette or tv program.

I have quite a few photos on mine also. And lots of music. very straightforward. I say go for it!

Of course I'm offended, there's no need to attack my reputation. Why assume I don't know what I'm talking about? You bought a different model. Things have changed in the last 2 years.

I own an Archos 605 and I have the receipts for it and the optional extras (recording station and power adaptor). I previously owned a 604 and the situation was identical. The unit comes only with a USB cable. This has been remarked on in numerous reviews.

If you don't believe me, have a look at the specifications of the Archos 605, you'll see :
External: Power adapter/charger (via optional accessories)

Relax, I believe you!

The op asked for opinions on this product, I gave her mine. The model I have was still available on line last time I looked. It doesn't require an additional charger.