Aquabion water system

Hi all

I went ahead with the installation of this and I am pleasantly impressed with it. It's a limescale treatment and not a water softener.
I would normally have to descale my kettle twice a week the limescale is that bad. I cleaned it to within an inch of it's life on Monday when it was installed and it's still in pristine condition 5 days later.

I have also noticed that my hair texture feels different too and the dishes are coming out of the dishwasher a lot cleaner. The system works for 7/8 years and is guaranteed for 5 years. The plumber said it will work to remove the existing limescale that is currently in the pipes and water tank.

I would highly recommend to anybody in a hard water area.

Reactions: Leo
Lexington Plumbing - Aaron is the plumber who installed it for me

The system and the filter tap was €770

The water filters last 6 months

Attachments

• 20240729_195024[1].jpg
    20240729_195024[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 143
  • 20240729_194544[1].jpg
    20240729_194544[1].jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20240729_194032[1].jpg
    20240729_194032[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 140
I currently have a conventional salt based water softner solution which is 4 years old. I use an external salt container and put salt like AXAL salt PRO in it.

Can you suggest a Water Conditioner for main water descaling as well as drinking water?

Any disadvantages compared with Salt based water softners?

I currently have a conventional salt based water softner solution which is 4 years old. I use an external salt container and put salt like AXAL salt PRO in it.

Can you suggest a Water Conditioner for main water descaling as well as drinking water?

Any disadvantages compared with Salt based water softners?
I have never used any other system so not sure I can say what advantages this has over it, it is small and compact and it works that I do know.
There is some limescale but it wipes off the taps now with minimal effort.

I have a regular salt based water softener for everything but drinking water, it works great. The Aquabion device looks interesting though to stop build up in the kettle and around the kitchen sink. Not sure if others will find it useful, but I asked ChatGPT for some insight on how safe it might be to treat water in this way, this was the answer -

When it comes to the use of galvanic water treatment devices that release zinc ions into drinking water, the overall consensus from the available research suggests that there is generally a low risk to human health if the zinc levels remain within recommended limits.

Zinc is an essential trace element necessary for various bodily functions, and it is commonly present in water and food. The World Health Organisation (WHO) notes that typical zinc concentrations in drinking water are usually low, often below 10 micrograms per liter in natural waters, but they can be higher in tap water due to leaching from pipes and fittings(World Health Organization)(lifescienceswater).

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set the secondary maximum contaminant level (SMCL) for zinc in drinking water at 5 milligrams per liter (mg/L). This guideline is not health-based but is meant to address aesthetic concerns like taste. High levels of zinc can cause water to have a metallic taste and appear cloudy(CDC).

In terms of health risks, excessive zinc intake from drinking water can lead to acute gastrointestinal issues such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. Chronic exposure to high levels of zinc can interfere with the absorption of other essential minerals, particularly copper, potentially leading to a deficiency(lifescienceswater)(CDC). However, these adverse effects are typically associated with zinc concentrations far exceeding those found in treated drinking water systems.

To summarise, while zinc ions from galvanic water treatment devices like Aquabion generally do not pose a significant health risk when maintained within regulatory limits, it is essential to monitor and ensure that zinc levels in drinking water do not exceed recommended thresholds to avoid potential health issues. Regular water testing and adherence to safety standards are crucial to maintain water quality and safety.

Somewhat helpful but it would be great if Aquabion disclosed how much Zinc is released into the water so you could do some sort of comparison to the limits. But FWIW I found this on their website, so there does appear to be some official testing/certification done -

The zinc release in the AQUABION is so low that it can’t cause any health impairment. The small amount dispensed is sufficient only to achieve the desired effects in terms of lime and corrosion protection. Accordingly, the AQUABION also has the necessary drinking water approvals in accordance with ÖVGW PW100, DVGW, WRAS and other certificates in various European countries.

Back