Approval in Principle - Ulster Bank - How long?

Pineapple82

My partner and I went into Ulster Bank over two weeks to start an FTB mortgage application. It was a positive meeting, and we had all of the necessary documentation. The Mortgage Advisor said we should get an email with the AIP letter in a day or two, but it is now two weeks later. He explained that the application would go through an initial assessment to full Credit underwrite before we got a yay or nay. But we haven't heard a thing from them, I sent a follow-up email after two weeks, and I will call on Monday if we don't hear back but is this something I should worry about?

How long would this process normally take? Was a day or two just an expression on his part? Or should we be worried? I do have some missed payments on a loan from five years ago, but our reports are clear otherwise.

Any insight would be most welcome, thank you.

Just pick up the phone and call the advisor.
It could be sitting on someone's desk, or someone could be out sick.
Calling isn't going to affect your application.

UB are really slow form my experience. I applied to switch to UB on Feb 2nd, got final approval on April 10th, so 9 weeks. I didn't even get AIP from them for this application.

Between first submitting all the details, the advisor was out sick for almost 2 weeks and didnt have their out of office or provide any other contact point, the application was then not uploaded correctly so underwriters were also emailing the advisor asking for it to be re-uploaded. They also got no reply from advisor on their side, meaning more delay.

Once that was sorted, the valuation team were over a week organising a valuer despite the valuer saying he was emailing asking for work etc etc. I emailed **15 times** over the 9 weeks asking what was happening and asking to be kept up to date, as I had no idea what was happening.

Contrast this with BOI/PTSB where I had previously full offer in less than 4 weeks. Hence, I wouldn't be worried that its a bad sign, my experience is that they are just slow in general.

Last edited:
Still nothing from Ulster Bank despite leaving messages and sending two emails. We are going through a broker now, hopefully, this will be easier.

Back