Anyone using Tesco for car insurance?

F

fpm

Hi all,
I have been looking around for car insurance, and have been quoted very well by Tesco.
My best was 620 from Quinn, TPFT, but for 770 (or 720, if I sign up for a clubcard), I get
fully comp for both me and my partner, windscreen cover, breakdown assist, lock replacement
if I lose my keys, they'll cover fire brigade charges, and my NCB is protected. Too good to be true???
The only downside I can see is that the excess is 300 (was 190 with Quinn), but I figure that
since I get windscreen cover, its not such a big deal.

Has any else dealt with them, in particular made a claim?

Thanks
FP

Is it not always better to get windscreen cover seperate since I've heard of cases on the MIJAG forum whereby claiming can affect your NCB cert.

Generally it doesn't effect your NCB. it might be different on Super Souped Up 1992 style Toyota Starlet Glanza's that those Mijag types drive though.

I have my Insurance with Tesco. One downfall for some people might be that you have to pay up front with your credit card (they might have the option for Laser now, I'm not sure). I had some problems with them regarding changing cars on my policy and adding my partner as a name driver. If you get someone good on the phone then it's fine but some of them you wan't to scream at. They left me uninsured for a week saying that I hadn't paid, which I had paid for a week beforehand and had already received my cert and documents! They also take a while to issue refunds for changes too.

I've never had a claim or had to use the Breakdown assistance so can't comment on that.

Oh and regarding the €50 discount just tell them you want them to take it off your premium, and if the say the can't tell them you'll do it yourself on the internet. Believe me, they do it for you then, they must be working on commission.

What I have heard in relation to windscreen claims and NCB-claiming for a new windscreen doesn't affect your NCB if renewing with your current insurer-but they may inform your new insurer if you switch, thereby affecting your NCB in your new insurer's eyes.

I have Tesco- excellent. Answer calls staright away. I added my husband partner and they gave me a discount!!Very friendly. Great cover. I even had to get car towed and sorted fine. Then I changed my car and the Cert was out in 3 days. A great service overall- recommended them to lots. They were the cheapest too!!

Pity they don't do house insurance!

Tesco are underwritten by Hibernian insurance - So they will be the ones actually covering you. Tesco is just the sales agent in essence.

Yes I used Tesco to get my Hibernian Insurance and i cannot recommend them highly enough. I got a very competitive rate. I only got third party cover because my car is not worth much and I was very pleasantly surprised with their breakdown assistance. I called them after receiving a lift home from the scene of the breakdown but they offered me a lift home immediately (the cost of a taxi if necessary) and came out and towed the car at my convenience. They were extremely helpful and made what could have been a nitemare for me very easy!
Hibernian also gave 17% discount for no penalty points in the second year. All in all I would definitely recommend Tesco.

Hibernian have a few outlets like Tesco. Ford Insure is another example.

Glad to see positive feedback on Tesco (ok Hibernian), my insurance is up in the next couple of weeks and having done my annual ring around Tesco were by far the most competitive rate, so I went with them.
I've a 2 year old car, 1.8L saloon, worth approx Eu17k, 8 years NCB and fully comp for moi and hubby as named came in at Eu380 (incl the Eu50 discount online), brilliant compared with othr insurers who were quoting from Eu520 - 780, and many without the windscreen cover that Tesco offer!
Although contacting current insurer they werent' interested in re-quoting me... Tesco will take an equal amount of the insurance market if the current insurers don't start to react positively to keep our business.

FPM,

AFAIK Quinn are the only compnay in the market where you loose your NCB on a windscreen claim

mell61,

Contacting current insurer to give them an 'opportunity' to match a more competitive quote is playing right into their hands. People should just leave (provided cover and terms are the same) and eventually the penny will drop with Insurers that the market does not function properly on trying to get away with charging as much as you can UNLESS the client contacts you to reduce the premium.

F. Kruger said:
AFAIK Quinn are the only compnay in the market where you loose your NCB on a windscreen claim

I didn't think Quinn actually covered windescreens?

Over the last 8-9 years - I have found FBD to be the most competitve - by €400-500 cheaper than other insurers.

Update...
Thanks for all the replies btw!
I rang Tesco just to check everything out, and it turns out that my NCB wouldn't actually be protected. I have 3 years NCB, but they won't protect until its at least 4 years. So although you can 'tick the box', your NCB is not actually protected.
So....just out of curiosity, I rang Glennon Insurances, they're a broker with an IEI (Engineers) special rate. They started out nearly 250 more than Tesco, but when I went 'Oooo...thats far too expensive', and got them to add my partner on the policy, it ended up 20 euro cheaper than Tesco! I don't get breakdown assistance, but my NCB IS protected, which is more valuable in my eyes.

Back