Anyone think "Harvey Norman" will be the next victim of this recession?

Re: harvey normans

They said that they have invested too much to pull out but the whole operation in Ireland has been a disaster.

Re: harvey normans

perhaps.. and I suspect also there's an extra layer of distribution here.. i.e. from here to uk, from uk to manufacturer...

Re: Anyone think "Havery Norman" will be the next victim of this recession?

Time to "Go, Harvey, Go!":)

Is it irrational to completely dislike Harvey's, Dixons & Curry's with no specific reason?

Is it irrational to completely dislike Harvey's, Dixons & Curry's with no specific reason?
I don't like Tesco, I find the whole brand too English. They make no effort to go native.

True but at least there is Irish staff in Tesco's but why should I shop in an English chain that seems to employ only English staff.

Mrs Romulan has also noted that Tesco's are dropping loads of Irish goods.

Are we insane or what?

I don't like Tesco, I find the whole brand too English. They make no effort to go native.

Strange, even though I know they are UK based, I've never seen Tesco as a very English brand - due to it originally being Quinsworth. One day the stores were Quinsworth, next day they were Tesco. Didnt seem to be any difference - same shops, same staff, same products. Sometimes I still even call it Quinsworth by mistake!

Now, the original Tesco that was around in 70s/80s, long before the Quinsworth takeover, was very British - in an M&S sort of way. These became mainly Supervalus?

I think Ikea will wipe out Harvey Norman in Dublin.

I think Ikea will wipe out Harvey Norman in Dublin.

Yes, definitely.

We bought a bed in Harvey Norman when we bought our apartment, prior to the opening of Ikea in Belfast.

We took the ferry to Holyhead and drove to the Ikea in Warrington and completely filled the car up to the brim with cabinets and the like.

We then went back to Harvey Norman a while later and just couldn't believe the difference in the price of what we had bought in Ikea and the quality was comparable.

Interestingly though, since Ikea in Belfast has opened, Harvey Norman has opened beside them so they must not think of it as such a threat.

Interestingly though, since Ikea in Belfast has opened, Harvey Norman has opened beside them so they must not think of it as such a threat.

I went in there the last time I went to IKEA. It was a silent as the grave.

I for one hope so!!! If I have another "WOW" roared at me while I'm relaxing in front of the tv I won't be resonsible for my actions! :mad:

I for one hope so!!! If I have another "WOW" roared at me while I'm relaxing in front of the tv I won't be resonsible for my actions! :mad:
+1. The radio ads are so annoying. Time to 'go harvey go' as another poster has suggested. ;)

A few months ago, one of it's head international people said that they were hoping to do well during the recession here. People spending more money on home entertainment, flasher fridges etc - to combat the cost of eating out. Perhaps if they dropped the terrifyingly irritating ad I might be tempted to go there.

. Perhaps if they dropped the terrifyingly irritating ad I might be tempted to go there.

Ditch the Aussie accents , go for a Dingle, West Kerry one and we'd be flying. :D

I have been thinking this for ages. I would still shop there but would only use a credit card at this stage unless I was taking the item away with me.

They are currently advertising everywhere, the spend must be at least in excess of 500k per month which is a lot of margin to make up on top of other costs.

The only down side to Ikea coming is that they will have a negitave impact on existing retail stores who are already struggling just to remain open.

Back