Any Rules/Regs regarding parking large trucks in estates?

-

Trucks in estates are a serious hazard.

Coincidentally, this very issue has been addressed in the "Q and A" section of today's "Irish Times" property pages:

--- QUOTE -------------------------------

Trucker is our neighbour

[Question:]

What is the legal position about trucks parked in a residential area? Our neighbour owned a Hiace-type van which he parked in the driveway. It was ugly but as we know that he needs it for work, we said nothing. He has now upgraded to a very big truck which is parked on the road. It is dangerous and very unsightly and frankly I think it brings down the whole neighbourhood. It has already broken off a piece of the kerb. I don't want a confrontation but what can we do.

[Answer:]

A large truck in a quiet residential street is indeed unsightly because you can't help seeing it and it's hazardous because it blocks the view of motorists. Do you have a residents' association that could approach the truck owner and point out your collective feelings? You should contact the community garda who will have experience of dealing with this kind of thing and find out the legal position - in some residential areas, trucks above a certain weight are prohibited or the truck may be parked too close to a junction. The garda will also be concerned about a truck that is causing a hazard to other motorists or pedestrians crossing the road. You should contact the county council about fixing the kerb.

--- END -------------------------------

Hi-ace van!

"Our neighbour owned a Hiace-type van which he parked in the driveway. It was ugly but as we know that he needs it for work, we said nothing."

what a pompous &*$^!!!!

Re: Hi-ace van!

Long wheelbase Toyota Hiace, 4830 mm in length.
BMW 740i, 4980 mm in length.

There's obviously no issue with the Hiace van using up more roadspace here. It's obvious that the poster didn't like it because "it was ugly" or (more likely) they didn't like the downmarket associations the Hiace van has.

Parking on the road

As far as I know You have the right to enter, pass along and exit the street. That is all. Therefore the Gardi can ticket you for parking anywhere that they deem to cause an obstruction or be a potential hazard to other road users. No one has the right to park outside their own house if it is not safe to do so or may obstruct the free passage of traffic.
Any vehicle that obstructs the vision of other road users must surly be a hazard. The truck should not be there.
You can't park a truck in a yard in a business premises in such a way that is may cause an accident so I don't see the public/private road thing being an issue.
Oysterman is right, write to the superintendent, but don't sit by the letterbox expecting a reply. Is there any chance you can get other neighbors to do the same? Make as much noise as you can.

Re: Parking on the road

Your local councillor(s) might help with a problem like this too.

HGV / Truck parking in Residential Estate

The end result of this problem.

Contacted the guards for advice, they advised there is a regulation regarding parking of vehicles > 3 ton in residential areas.

Truck was also being parked on roadway and not in driveway so was causing a hazard.

Sent an open letter to the owner of the truck to the house (it's rented - landlord didn't care about issue once he was geting his money - typical - hopefully they wreck the interior on him - revenge!).

Stated that the truck was a hazard and eyesore. We asked that it be no longer parked in the estate. Advised on regulations. Gave them one week to come back to us.

Result truck is no longer parked in the driveway or estate for that matter. Everyone happy! And no longer a dangerous hazard on entry to the estate!

Re: HGV / Truck parking in Residential Estate

What do you mean by 'open letter'? Do you mean anonymous? (just for curiousity)

a letter addressed to one person but intended for gen public

If you do a Google search as follows:
define: open letter

You get one hit
Definitions of open letter on the Web:

a letter of protest; addressed to one person but intended for the general public

www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

Im guessing that an open letter can be anonoymous, signed by one person or signed by many people. What matters is that it is open to the general public.

Ajapale

re

I have the same problem with neighbour. He drives one of those Recovery Vehicles, which can (and is regularl) used to collect crashed cars and these cars are then put on to the back of the truck.
Sometimes, he will unload a crashed card on to the road outside his/my house, park it up, leave it there and then go off and 'recover' another car/van. The second car is left on the back of the truck overnight, and dropped off somewhere the next morning. Meanwhile, the first car is left parked outside the houses until he has nothing on the back of the truck and can come back, load up the first car and take it away.
Is this a similar situation to the Gas board van? i.e. my neighbour often gets called out late at night to a crash scene.
The estate can look very poor if there is crashed cars parked outside and also a big truck taking over a large space. I currently rent the house next door, so to be honest, its not the value of the house declining that I'm worried about, its more the inconvenience of having a large patch of the front of our drive obscured by this truck.
Should I follow the above advice and contact community officer? There is a residents association, but they don't seem to be bothered about it.
I'm pretty sure that if I do make a complaint to the residents association that it may not be taken seriously, as there seems to be a definite divide between people who are 'only' renting and people who own their homes in the estate.

I'm interested in the idea of an open letter, can anyone advise if it has to be signed?

Hiace Van

I have a similar prob - I have recently moved into a square within an estate. Basically you can park anyway you want in the square but there seems to be some order. The prob is a huge white van that seems to store papers for the lads to come in the morning and get there round! It never moves and is parked smack bang in the middle of the square. Not only is it the first thing you notice in the estate but the noise at 4am when the lads collect the papers is too much! HELP

Re: Noise at 4oc in the morning

Local councillor(s) or community garda are your best options.

If they are tenants . . .

If the residents are tenants then their landlord is responsible for dealing with anti-social behaviour. If a complaint to both he and the tenants fails, then any action should be directed against both him and his tenants. There was a case recently in the courts about some anti social tenants (I have a feeling they were not Irish) where the landlord was also held responsible.

There should be a law in any case against landlords or property oweners to maintain the facade and area around their property in reasonable and hygenic condition - perhaps some kind of "anti dereliction law?"

HGV parking in housing estates

Hi all, does anybody know if there is a law against this. It is becoming widespread in our estate in Clonsilla and not only is it a dreadful eyesore but is certainly a danger (some even parking on bends). Can we do anything about it? Thanking you

Re: HGVs Parking in Housing Estates

Is it a privately managed development? Some leashold/management agreements forbid the parking of commerial vehicles etc. on the development, although I'm not sure how this is enforc

If it is an estate that is under the control of the local authority/council, then maybe you should contact them directly.

The previous 2 posts were copied from another thread on the same topic as this one.

Re: ..

As the estate might be private land and so mightn't contain a public road, the guards mightn't be able to help. There may be a clause in the deed of transfer transferring the site to you and all of your neighbours restricting the type of vehicle parked in the designated parking areas, or a general ' dont cause a nuisance to neighbours' type clause that you could use to put a stop to this, but you will have to get a copy of your title deeds to check. There may even be a planning restriction against this in the planning for the estate- check it out. If it is a privately managed estate, you could propose a change to the rules to prevent it happening. Only problem is- you may be very unpopular with a close neighbour and you have to live there...

We're not allowed to keep/raise chattle!:mad:

Regarding the parking of large vehicles in housing estates. I was doing Transport studies a few years ago and we were told that every company that has large vehicles has to provide adequate parking space on their premises for each vehicle, however the parking of vehicles on public roads has to be dealt with under the by-laws of the council. So basically if there are no by-laws in the area you can only complain under Rules of the Road or if parking is deemed a danger.

Dorsn't look as though there's much in the way of lergidslation regarding truck-parking:-

From the Kildare Nationalist Sep 28 2006

Council urged to take action over large trucks in Loughminane
LARGE trucks parking in housing estates are causing a nuisance for residents, the Kildare Area Committee meeting heard, recently.
A motion was put forward at the last meeting asking Kildare County Council to take some action to have these trucks removed at the Loughminane housing estate in Kildare Town.
Councilor Fionnuala Dukes said these trucks are creating a nuisance for the long term residents on the Green Road, as they start up early in the morning.
According to the council spokesperson Charlie Talbot, the problem of trucks parking in housing estates is hard to regulate and the matter should be referred to the council’s environmental section.
The town engineer said that there are a number of possibilities available to them, to prevent the trucks parking.
One possibility is to get the developer to reduce the width of the road from ten meters to six meters; this would leave the trucks no room to park on the road.
Kildare County Council has made previous attempts to prevent heavy goods vehicles parking in built up areas.
A few years ago, they tried to lower the weight restrictions in housing estates. They had agreed with requests from housing associations for the provision of signage to prevent the parking of heavy goods over 3 tonnes parking in housing estates.
Councilor Suzanne Doyle said that measures should be made to avoid these difficulties in future planning permissions.

Back