Any hidden costs with mobile broadband?

Caveat

Looking at getting this - seemingly available for around €20 - €30 per month.

Is it generally as simple as paying the monthly fee, recieve your USB thingy and that's it?

Or do there tend to be hidden costs e.g. installation/set-up "rental"/purchase of said thingy etc?

TIA

Looking at getting this - seemingly available for around €20 - €30 per month.

Is it generally as simple as paying the monthly fee, recieve your USB thingy and that's it?

Or do there tend to be hidden costs e.g. installation/set-up "rental"/purchase of said thingy etc?

TIA

If you go over the allocated amount per month (5Gig) you get charged a certain amount per megabyte you download after that (thats the way it works with Vodafone anyway)

5gig seems very little .... my eircom limit is 30gb per month.

What upload/download speed like?

5gig seems very little .... my eircom limit is 30gb per month.

What upload/download speed like?

You're not comparing like with like.....Eircom is not mobile....its fixed line. Apparently my Vodafone is 3meg but I dont see that, ever. Around a meg usually, although most of the stuff I download is torrented so they are way fast. I find it fine anyway, especially if you dont want a landline. The "Three" mobile broadband is awful though...

I know I'm not comparing like with like but the only reason I have a landline is for my broadband and was wondering if it would be a step backwards rather than a forward step.

I know I'm not comparing like with like but the only reason I have a landline is for my broadband and was wondering if it would be a step backwards rather than a forward step.

Oh right sorry in that case a definite step back I would say. Mobile broadband is designed for convienence not volume & speed.

have 02 for E30 a month for 10 gig. The yoke-a-ma-thingy was E70 as far as I remember and no other costs unless you go over your 10 gig and they're supposed to warn you if you do anyway. Coverage very good on high ground and urban areas in general, can be iffy in other spots. Handy as a small pot though.

Is this average/typical does anyone know?

Thanks for all responses so far.

I think my vodafone one was €99. They (Vodafone) were offered 2nd hand ones for €50 also, not sure if that offer is still ongoing...

Back