american fridge

icantbelieve

Hi,
does anyone own one of these, what are the pros and cons, where's best to buy, any makes to avoid, any online sites for reviews/prices.
Apologies if there are existing threads already devoted to this topic that I can read and appreciate any links provided.

-icantbelieveit

I have the black not built in Whirlpool one with ice dispenser and water. Cost just over 2k. Got it Dwyers Cork. We find it great.Big, but doesn't take up as much room as you might think as we have it next to full length high kitchen broom cupboard unit so the height of the fridge then seems less.

yip. hard to get ice without it! there is a spur off the main under the sink. the spur is just a 1/2 inch black plastic pipe, not copper. This was done as it bends around under the cupboards. I then cut off the bottom back corner of the unit next to the fridge. At this point the black pipe terminates in a washing machine type water inlet gate valve to which the fridge has its attachment that just screws onto it.
We were going to get the plumbing fitted during the kitchen construction. but house in an estate and the builder wanted 150 euro. Second, we didn't know exact kitchen plan.

So instead, paid plumber to do it afterwards himself as part of paying him to do outside tap, fitting kitchen sink and waste and extra shower. Worked out far cheaper that way obviously without the builder getting his cut.

I am interested to know if you bought the American fridge.
I would like to get one of these but like you would be interested in knowing the pros and cons.

(Sorry to cut in on your question, but I've got one too...)

Do you just need the fresh water supply in to the fridge or is a waste outlet or any other plumbing required?

I bought a Liebherr big fridge/ freezer (not "American" style as such) without water dispenser/ ice maker last year. I just wanted a big fridge with adequate storage for all our food pre-made dinners etc. I originally looked at a Maytag fridge but I didn't want the hassle of plumbing it in. Also I wonder about the hygiene of such water dispensers/ ice makers. Do they require regular cleaning? For most of the year I find the temp of the water from the mains tap to be cold enough. One gripe I have about all fridges tho' regardless of make is the plastic storage bins inside. I've already damaged/ cracked the hard plastic ones supplied with mine when cleaning/ defrosting etc. So I've actually replaced them with inexpensive PP storage bins from Woodies. They're durable, easy to clean and will tolerate a little rough and timble.

hi,

We got the Samsung Stainless Effect Finish (really a plastic) but looks just like the ss cooker beside it !
We couldn't justify the extra € 500 for reall stainless steel.
I plumbed it in and the water/ice dispenser is great - there is a filter on it which we change about once a year and it really takes the taste out of the water (we used to live on bottled water) from the Dublin supply.

The only supply you need is a mains cold feed and the ice maker is great - especially for parties etc.

thumbs up from me !

I am looking for an American fridge (Samsung, LG - that range), if anyone know any good deals going, thanks for the tip off!! :)

I have whirlpool SS one and I love it. Lots of space in the main fridge and the filtered water is great. Can't drink tap water now as it tastes so different. Whirlpool have great after sales service as we had some damage done by builders and they repaired it under the warranty. Also the whirlpool guy had to come with the fridge to install it not to plumb it but to level it and connect it up. That was about four years ago now though so it might have changed. Only thing is though I think the freezer is not huge as we have kept our old freezer and regularly have both full. Also have to say salad and veg lasts way longer as these drawers are humidity controlled. Also cold air is drawn in from the freezer to keep meats.
angie

we got a samsung one in harvey normans the silver one with the mirror on front we got when it was harvey normans birthday as they called it it cost us €1800 it would have cost us €2,200. So i suppose wait for the jan sales now not long to go
I havent got anything bad to say bout it yet the only thing that is actually missing is a place to put the eggs so just bought a holder for them otherwise its great

the ice is great for partys and there is a lot of room in them
there is also a draw where you can thaw your meet

we bought the lg premier in harvey normans abt 1 year ago no probs so far €1200 at time one piece of advice is make sure your doors are wide enough for the fridge to get through the delivery guy told me he lost count of thr number of times he had to take them back to shop because he couldnt deliver them.

angie said:
I have whirlpool SS one and I love it. Lots of space in the main fridge and the filtered water is great. Can't drink tap water now as it tastes so different. Whirlpool have great after sales service as we had some damage done by builders and they repaired it under the warranty. Also the whirlpool guy had to come with the fridge to install it not to plumb it but to level it and connect it up. That was about four years ago now though so it might have changed. Only thing is though I think the freezer is not huge as we have kept our old freezer and regularly have both full. Also have to say salad and veg lasts way longer as these drawers are humidity controlled. Also cold air is drawn in from the freezer to keep meats.
angie

Same here - excellent buy c. €2k but wife and kids this water dispenser / ice options are excellent. I think the beer storage capacity is great too :)

Roy

Pink, I just love the fridges with the mirror doors, are they hard to keep clean?

hi phoenix,

No its not hard to keep clean at all (bear in mind we have no kid). I usually clean it with the car window wipes

Pink

Getting the Samsung. Larger than the Whirlpool in storage(litres) and also quieter dB levels and less expensive. The stainless steel effect more realistic than Whirlpools aslo. There's a Charge of 100 euros if the doors have to come off for delivery. Won't fit through a standard front door.

SmokeyGirl, there a good deal going at the moment with Currys - LG silver color american fridge (no water/ice disp) -- €899 at the moment - some 230 euros off.

However, if you go to Currys Newry, its only £450, which is about €655 euros - they won't deliver south of the border though.. I bought one anyway.

Here's the link:

Hi

We got a Whirlpool, siliver/chrome finish cost approx €2k in PowerCity several months ago.

We are very happy with it, great machine, you'd be amazed how often you use the water filter & ice machine, once you've installed it :D

Only negative I can think of is you you need to replace the water filter every circa 6 months, which costs approx €40 I think.

If I'd to buy one again tomorrow, I'd buy another one no problem & am glad I paid out the extra few quid for the Whirlpool, as I'm shameful when it comes to brandnames :) ;)

Happy hunting

Cheers

G>
[broken link removed]

Moneypitt,
thanks for the info. I have checked out several places now for the american style fridge, there are a few good offers on at the moment.
I was considering getting one without water and ice although I am slowing changing my mind.

Back