Amazon Prime

Ravima

Anyone getting automated calls from 0469732746 saying that subscription (which I do not have) is being renewed?

Yes, it's a scam.
They'd probably ask you to confirm your credit card details to cancel it...

I got automated calls (American accent) from 'Amazon' today and yesterday from different numbers starting 021 and 089, telling me my Amazon account will be auto renewed (I don't have an account). Got similar calls a couple of times in the past few weeks. No bank details requested but I ended the call as soon as I heard the initial part of the message, maybe they ask for more info if you continue the call. The numbers they use can trick you into answering the calls.

I used to hang up on these guys straight away but nowadays I like to have a little fun with them. The longer I keep them on the phone complaining about some fictitious customer service incident the less time they have to scam someone else.

I used to deploy that fun tactic of engaging with them also but then I was told by a fraud investigator that these guys have all the time in the world and really don't care if they are been strung along. So why bother I thought to myself. You would think that in this day in age there would be some way networks can block these calls

I used to deploy that fun tactic of engaging with them also but then I was told by a fraud investigator that these guys have all the time in the world and really don't care if they are been strung along. So why bother I thought to myself. You would think that in this day in age there would be some way networks can block these calls
Unfortunately it's impossible to block these calls as they just get another number a few minutes later.
I would guess that they use the same system blueface used to use for international numbers, they connect to a local virtual number and then dial away. So they can be located anywhere in the world, but you see an 045 or whatever number they are piggy backing on.

New variant on the above. Call offering free amazon prime if you provide your card details (yes, the logic is strange).

What could possibly go wrong?

You would think that in this day in age there would be some way networks can block these calls
You can block specific numbers yourself on your own device if you want to stop the calls.

Given the variety of numbers they seem to be using for this and similar scams, you may have to do it for more than one number. This also indicates how difficult the job would be for the network operator to do automatically, after all, it's just another phone number on their network until and unless someone reports suspicious activity associated with it

The scammers use auto-diallers, they used to be electro mechanical devices but are now software based, generating and dialling numbers at incredible rates until they get an answer, which is then recorded automatically, as are the credit card/bank account details for immediate use and later re-use, if they are revealed. The fact that they got an answer from your phone may mean your number gets passed on to another outfit via the "scammers' phonebook", whether you buy or not from the first caller.

From the Home screen tap "Settings" then "Phone" then "Blocked Contacts".

Add the phone numbers to the list of Blocked Contacts. The specifics will vary between iOS and Android or other phone OSs. You won't receive calls, texts, emails, Facetimes, etc. from any of the listed numbers until you unblock or unlist them. My phone is also set to reject any calls from private numbers, i.e. phones which withhold their caller ids, which can keep the Bible and aluminium window salesmen at bay.

You can of course also set your phone to reject all calls from numbers that do not appear in your contacts/phone-book. This may be a bit extreme but then again it might suit some users.. :) :)

Last edited:
Back