Am I breaking the law? Maternity benefit and an overdue invoice

niamho

I’m in a pickle. I’m self employed and I’m currently on maternity benefit. A client I had been doing work for previous to starting maternity leave has requested I send him an invoice that I had planned to send in the new year (when I complete the project). He has received a grant that covers the project and needs to draw it down, with my invoice, next month.
If I send the invoice, do I risk being cut off? Do I have any options? It’s not worth it to me being cut off.

Can you issue a pro-forma invoice? A pro-forma invoice is a provisional bill of sale that you send to your customer before you deliver your goods or services, so work or goods are still outstanding. A proforma invoice is a binding commercial agreement. What differentiates a sales invoice or final invoice is that a proforma invoice’s terms of sale can still be changed. This means that it only applies to sales that have not yet been completed.

Make sure the pro-forma is accurate, VAT etc if it applies, dated correctly and is marked "Pro-Forma Invoice".

I just noticed your title says "overdue invoice" which is a regular invoice which is late.

Last edited:
Back