Alternative to Currencyfair for transferring Euro to a Stg account?

daithi28

Hi,

I've been using Currencyfair since 2011 with no issues. However, I tried transferring money on Tuesday, Wednesday and again today but neither the mobile app or the desktop website will work. It just times out with a caption saying "Looks like something has gone wrong. please contact customer services".

A quick search online about an hour ago took me to a couple of threads on askaboutmoney about uncertainty with currencyfair which has raised alarm bells for me!

In short, can anybody recommend another online service for sending my Euro after conversion to UkStg to a Northern Ireland account?

Hi,

I've been using Currencyfair since 2011 with no issues. However, I tried transferring money on Tuesday, Wednesday and again today but neither the mobile app or the desktop website will work. It just times out with a caption saying "Looks like something has gone wrong. please contact customer services".

A quick search online about an hour ago took me to a couple of threads on askaboutmoney about uncertainty with currencyfair which has raised alarm bells for me!

In short, can anybody recommend another online service for sending my Euro after conversion to UkStg to a Northern Ireland account?
Revolut

Hi,

I was having serious trouble with CF, so wont be using them going any further. I had been using them since 2015.

2 days ago I used 'Wise'. I got the money changed from my northern account and into my southern account in about 2hrs. some speed. and a better rate than CF too.

I’ve used Wise on a number of occasions over the years for EUR to USD transfers. The service is quick, reliable, low cost and I’ve always been satisfied with the exchange rate. If I had a requirement for EUR to GBP this is the service I would use.

Same experience as Oriel above. A long time user of Currency Fair, I used Wise for the first time today for a Stg to € transfer. I found Wise highly satisfactory.

I have switched to Wise as well.

Revolut is ok for very small amounts of money that you don't mind losing for a few months.

If something goes wrong, it's not possible to resolve it.

And that is the reason people are switching from Currency Fair.

So stick with Wise.

Brendan

Longtime Wise user. Have physical and virtual cards. I use these a lot outside the eurozone. Very close to the spot rate FX. There is a marginal benefit over Revolut on weekend transactions ,I believe. I use revolut also.

I used atlantic.money recently as they have a flat 3€ fee independent of the amount used in addition to a good live rate.

For an additional fee you have it also send as instant.

Works fine for $ and £.

They have a decent App.

But this is strictly money transfer, no multi-currency wallet, card, etc.; it's to send foreign transfers, nothing else.

You will send them the € into your virtual account in Estonia and they send it to the target account. A single transfer at a time. If you sending bank has SEPA instant they process the transfer near real time, if your bank does not, then it's processed once your funds hit the virtual account.

In the past I have found Monito (https://www.monito.com/) quite good for comparing prices as you can sometimes find quotes that are better than the mid-market rate. I have a Wise account that I used to use all the time to send money from my Irish current account to my UK current account. Lately though I've been finding myself just using Revolut for convenience although I'm sure it's the more expensive option particularly when I'm visiting at weekends. I also use a service called FlyWire for sending student loan repayments to the UK.

Back