Already employed, how do I pay my tax on a one-off nixer?

L

Lunamatic

Hello, I hope this is the correct forum. My problem is this, I already have a full time job, but I've always had an interest in web design. Now I have the opportunity to design a website for a company, in my spare time. It may be possible that if I do a good job, I'll get a couple of other chances to do some webdesign.

How do I pay tax on an irregular extra income like that?

Also, is it possible to be a freelance webdesigner, and set up as a very small company, while keeping my original job? I don't know if I could earn enough money as a webdesigner to survive without it.

Can't you simply enter such addtional non PAYE earnings in a [broken link removed] return if they are under €50K p.a.? Otherwise you will have to go on self assessment. That's my understanding anyway.

Thank you very much. I had been reading thought the Revenue site, but got very lost among all the jargon. :eek:

You would be entitled to deduct any expenses 'wholly and necessarily' incurred.. items such as 'civil service rates' would not apply, but any expenditure actually incurred is deductible/

Back